TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like the title says.

I picked up a set of finned aluminum valve covers from a 1989 MarkVII and spent hours polishing them. I have a set of Scorpion rockers and they hit the covers.

There are alot of ribs that could be ground out for clearance.

Has anyone had luck making the factory covers fit with roller rockers?

·
Super Moderator
7,976 Posts
You can try removing the baffles inside, but I don't know for sure if that will be enough. I know you can buy valve cover spacers on ebay that will give you enough clearance and let you still use the valve covers you have. Only problem is they usually cost about as much as a set of polished tall valve covers.

Mike

PS For my 393 I picked up a set of chrome tall valve covers with new gaskets and hardware for $35 shipped off ebay. That might be your best bet.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
are these pedistal mount or stud mount ? if they are stud mount, i am using a set of trick flow std height covers. the talls will defientlly clear as well, but wont clear the upper intake . if you are usiing pedistal mount , i used the stock mn12 covers with the motorsport 1.7 roller rockers and had no issue.

·
Super Moderator
3,616 Posts
You should be able to remove the baffles. The Mustang aluminum valve covers have the same issue and it is common to just remove the baffles.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These are pedestal mount Scorpions. They are a little wider than Crane 1.7's. The rockers seemed to fit great until the pushrods lifted them .555 inch:mad:
The baffle is only under the filler neck. I guess I can try grinding the ribs off until they clear. Might have a see thru valve cover by then:rolleyes:

How do those ebay covers fit? I've seen the Motorsport covers for a 460 fit like crap. They are made in Taiwan also.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
you may want to buy a set of motorsport ones as well they should work,

·
Super Moderator
7,976 Posts
The ebay covers fit perfectly. I haven't installed an intake yet, so I don't know if they will clear a stock intake, but where they bolt on to the heads is perfect. For as cheap as they were, I couldn't be happier.

Mike

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
Maybe this is a retarded suggestion... but what about doubling up on the gaskets? I know it wont make an enormous difference, but if you dont need much more clearance, between extra gaskets and a little grinding you might have it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have TFS high ports with ford pedistal roller rockers and 5.0 valve covers ,a little grinding and they fit no problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts