TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I purchased a brand new 2012 specialized hardrock in blue/white/black

It's great! I previously had a 97 specialized hardrock that I put a few thousand miles on, it was good to me...didn't have the means to bring it to Texas, so i gave it away...

Anyway, I would sure like to take this thing to various places and ride it, does or did any company ever offer a roof or otherwise mounted bike rack for these cars? Hitch mount isn't an option, and I'm thinking that a trunk mount rack would not work due to the panel lights

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I have never seen or heard of a roof rack for bikes on an mn12. I wonder if there are universal "adjustable" ones that could be installed.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just looked at Yakima's website...they have a "build it" tool, it put together this exact setup, very cool...and expensive...not sure what I'll do. Thank you though, this helps a ton.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Watch the craigslist bikes section - the entire "rack" part without the clips/bike mounts can be found for $150 to 200 sometimes (or less) Just make SURE you get Q towers and not gutter towers (I made that mistake once - thankfully I managed to resell for what I paid for it)

I paid 150 for the 4 Q towers, two 48" bars and 8 lock cores (all towers + bike mounts use the same key) and paid $100 a few weeks later for a complete rack with the extender and the front fairing (which I kept the extender and fairring and sold the towers and bars for $120)

If I had found the $100 one first my total cost for the rack for one bike would have been about $200 for everything.

The bike mounts thenselves range from $50 to $90 used.

New, the complete rack setup would cost more than the car is worth - what I have is $1400 new.

Another advantage to the roof rack, is when I get a new vehicle (another year or two) I can transfer the rack to the new car by buying new q clips in most cases.

wWith the roof rack you can also carry larger items such as lumber, ladders, and kayaks. The biggest item I did carry was a 70' tall ham radio tower (way over the max weight limit for the rack and roof) and needed to move it 30 miles away for storage. Not the best way to do it, but, I managed to accomplish it.

Before the roof rack, I did use a trunk mount without issues - one trick is to rest the bottom part of the rack on the bumper, not the trunk - but sometimes you can run into a cop that doesn't like the bike over the plate. I went away from the trunk to a roof rack for one simple reason - I didn't want to run the risk of dealing with someones insurance over a $10k bicycle and a 2k car if I was rear ended.

I also have a trailer hitch (DIY job... - but it works!) thats tucked down and under in case I need to tow a small load. Its not as convient as an SUV or truck, but, the car is paid off, low miles (20k miles on engine / transmission since Ford did a full rebuild at no cost to me!) so I can't exactly not keep it for a few more years either as I'll get more driving value than sale value. Insurance is $50/month for full coverage (I have it agreed to a higher than blue-book value due to the mechanics of car) and registration is $30 a year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts