TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Have a buddy with a 96 mustang GT looking around for a roots blower. I think he's leaning towards the SVO supercharger. I told him I would post on here just to see if any of you guys had one forsale or knew of someone that is looking to sell theirs. The only somewhat complete kit we have found is on ebay for $1750. None on corral, or Craigslist so far.

Personally I was wondering what do you guys think the going price for one of these is? I've seen some go for as little as $1200. Also if there's any other roots blowers you would recommend besides the SVO Ill pass the good info along to him.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Dont break your back trying to find one with a complete install kit. If you happen to find one thats just the blower itself and the price is right, jump on it. I bought mine that way and made all the brackets, it was not hard in the slightest. And given I only gave $650 for mine delivered, and I'm fairly sure it had never been run on an engine before, it was well worth it. All my brackets were made in my garage with nothing more than a bench grinder a drill and a welder. And you dont even really need the welder. Alternator bracket was nothing more then a scrap piece of flat stock I cut from some angle iron I had. The throttle bracket was made from cutting up and modifying a stock one. The alternator relo/idler pulley bracket was the only tricky one. Had to go to a machine shop and get a 8" piece of solid round stock and cut it into pieces, then another piece of flat stock I cut out of an old trans mount I had. Line it all up drill all the holes and it was done. Of course the hardest part is finding one of those blowers in the first place.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
holley 174

:wavey:

I have my eye on a Holley 174 roots type blower.
for my 302(306) for my 85 T-bird.

I want how-ever twin deuces. Might have to settle for a 650 double pumper:zdunno:

:wiggle:

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Wow only 650 bucks that's great! Did that include the entire manifold too or just the M112 supercharger?

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of options for a roots style blower.

He's got me all excited I want one too now! Maybe after the gear and TC are in..

·
Super Moderator
16,821 Posts
The manifold is integrated into the case, so that's not possible unless someone sold the rotor pack separately for some reason.

They've definitely gone up in price over the last few years. Back in 06/07 people were practically giving them away.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
The manifold is integrated into the case, so that's not possible unless someone sold the rotor pack separately for some reason.

They've definitely gone up in price over the last few years. Back in 06/07 people were practically giving them away.
You remember ppl giving these away when you were 18 years old? :tongue:

·
Super Moderator
16,821 Posts
Yeah I couldn't afford them then or now lol. But yeah well under $1,000 for the full blown kits. The NC crew single handedly inflated the prices of those things :tongue:

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Well it's a good blower if u want a high 11 second car but don't expect it to go much faster, there is on that has gone 11.47 with mark 8 shortblock and ported npi heads and some how hasent blown up

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Yeah I got a smokin deal no doubts about that. But that was found by accident after better than 2 years of searching. I wouldn't expect to run across one like that again. And even at $1800 which is where I see the full setups sell for here, its great bang for the buck. They aren't that hard to work with and easy to install. Hard part seems to be finding one to tune it. And if you aren't after crazy power or 1/4 miles times and want a kick a$$ street car that will make people shake their head in disbelief, you can't beat it.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I'm in no way interested, but I looked up the one on eBay. Basically from what I can see you get the blower, an alternator and the coil bracket. Looking at the pics, I'm fairly sure I know what car that came from. I can't remember where I saw it and I lost the links, but I remember when I was reasearching for mine, I remember reading through an article with pics that showed that big flat plate mounted off the alternator for the idler pulley. From what I recall, it worked, but I wouldn't rig anything up like that. Especially not when the brackets that came with the kit and designed for the kit are so easy to make. As far as price goes, not terrible given how rarely that piece comes available, but a touch high. When Rob finds them, they are complete with every nut and bolt and usually a meth kit and they get $2200. If it was me, I'd start at $1300 and no more than $1500 as far as offers go. Like I said the missing parts aren't hard to make, but they do take time and some effort. Just my opinions for what that's worth.

·
Super Moderator
11,914 Posts
... The only somewhat complete kit we have found is on ebay for $1750. None on corral, or Craigslist so far.

Personally I was wondering what do you guys think the going price for one of these is? I've seen some go for as little as $1200. Also if there's any other roots blowers you would recommend besides the SVO Ill pass the good info along to him.
I was gonna say you've got the numbers switched. For a full, complete kit you're looking at $2,100 to $2,200 NOT $1,200

Yeah I couldn't afford them then or now lol. But yeah well under $1,000 for the full blown kits. The NC crew single handedly inflated the prices of those things :tongue:
:tongue:

Rob just showed everybody the potential of these and their full worth and now they're in demand.

Thanks for the info! :thumbsup: Ill pass it along to Ethan.

I hate that they are becoming more rare. I think last year just here on tccoa I saw two or three sell.
And I think Rob sold all three of them. LOL

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been curious about this blower and have been doing some more reading on it. I found a lot of old threads on here where guys have talked about the rods going out on these motors very soon even just running on the stock 6 lbs of boost. Are these rods running on borrowed time as soon as you slap the blower on? Obviously many of you guys are running the stock bottom ends with more boost for years and haven't had any problems. Is this because the newer PI bottom ends are stronger and younger than in the NPI motors?.. (kinda doubt this) High mileage is also a factor although by how much I'm sure is hard to tell.

I've found a lot of A-Train's information very useful. I don't think I've found any good posts after 2007 from him tho.

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts
I've been curious about this blower and have been doing some more reading on it. I found a lot of old threads on here where guys have talked about the rods going out on these motors very soon even just running on the stock 6 lbs of boost. Are these rods running on borrowed time as soon as you slap the blower on? Obviously many of you guys are running the stock bottom ends with more boost for years and haven't had any problems. Is this because the newer PI bottom ends are stronger and younger than in the NPI motors?.. (kinda doubt this) High mileage is also a factor although by how much I'm sure is hard to tell.

I've found a lot of A-Train's information very useful. I don't think I've found any good posts after 2007 from him tho.
Keep the RPMs below 6500, don't spin the blower to fast and a safe tune will take you a long ways with the stock internals.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Does it have to be a roots? I've always found the centrifugal supercharger much more appealing. Less issues with heat than the roots/screw and better top end breath than a roots/screw with minimal sacrifice in the low end. They make a pretty good sound too but then again I tend to be a bit bias. I actually plan to go with a Vortec around this time next year. :D

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not sure I think Ethan was thinking roots because of the instant low end torque. I think the roots style blower has always been more appealing to me for that same reason (also the SVO blower is a bit cheaper). On a daily driver its nice to have that instant power down low. I have read with a nice 3500+ stall and 3.73s the centrifugal blower can really make up for that loss of low end. And I mean if your racing you will want a high stall and numerically higher gears anyways.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
I'm not sure I think Ethan was thinking roots because of the instant low end torque. I think the roots style blower has always been more appealing to me for that same reason (also the SVO blower is a bit cheaper). On a daily driver its nice to have that instant power down low. I have read with a nice 3500+ stall and 3.73s the centrifugal blower can really make up for that loss of low end. And I mean if your racing you will want a high stall and numerically higher gears anyways.
About the main thing I like about my blower but not being a DD ;)

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
In a DD, it's no different than having very short gears. You can easily achieve the level of torque multiplication that a blower gives you with the right combination of torque converter & gears. Top speed is something else--here a blower will plow through because it is making more raw HP, but in a DD, you won't be using top speed anyways....and you don't have to worry about fuel system upgrades, intercooling, etc with a TC & gears.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Never seen a rod failure, yet from a blower it's always the pistion that breaks, Ron's hasent broke in 3 plus years my buddy's vortech was fine on 13 pounds finally broke a piston
Robert

1 - 20 of 22 Posts