TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering is any of you guys have one.

My compressor blew out the other day (stupid craftsman) and I need to get a new one soon. I know rotary is mainly used for industrial but I crave CFM with all my sanding and cutting tools and I hate stopping every 5 minutes for the tank to fill up so I want to upgrade big time I think this may be the better way for me to go.

Some questions

Noise level how many db's?
Is it better to go with oil or oil less?
How many CFM can I get out if it?
Average cost? I'm not going to spent over 5 grand for a compressor.
Can the head be put on a existing tank from a normal compressor or is it best to buy a whole setup.

If there is any other types of compressors out that may do the job better than average 2 stage compressors from sears lets hear it.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I think one question will be: Do you have access to three phase power? I don't think I've seen very many Rotary Screw compressors that run on single phase.

And just my .02, but I think that is WAY overkill....

From what I've read, when buying a compressor, all you need to do is find the tool with the largest cfm/psi requirement and go from there. What are the requirements for your sander? Optimally, the compressor should be able to feed any tool without needing a tank as a buffer. I know a lot of businesses/garages use regular full sized two stage compressors with no problems. :D

Just my .02. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
773 Posts
how big is your tank? what the horsepower of old compresser? I built a nice compresser using swap meet parts. I got lucky on compresser head and tank. I am running a 2 stage compresser it keep up with blasting cabinet.

·
Registered
773 Posts
this is the head unit (pump ) i am running with a 5 horse motor on a 100 gal tank.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/itemDetailsRender.shtml?xi=xi&ItemId=1611703983&ccitem=

No I bought the head unit at a swap meet for $20 it had a broken rod in it cost me 75 to repair. 100 gallon tank was another $50 at a different swap meet. and paid 125 for a used 5 horse 215 frame single phase 220 volt motor built a mount and stand for tank. so for about $300 I have a killer compressor that I have used for about 6 years now. I run my pressure at 125 on 140 off and it will keep up with my bead blaster. it will actually build pressure and kick off when I am using the blast cabinet. true I came across some good deals but a 2 stage compressor like this should run you about 1500 to 2500 new....... no wear near the 5000 to 8000 grand a screw compressor will run you.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well 3 phase will be a problem I did not know they ran of that. My air tools are old I got them from my grandfather after he passed away I think there turn of the century old:D I know I can buy better more effecient tools but the ones I have are nice and they rip the hell out of whatever I'm sanding/cutting. I use these for sanding fiberglass and wood mostly but will be doing my car soon.

I have a 7 hp 80 gal horizontal tank now (before the head blew) but I want bigger. I dont know a whole lot about compressors but I'm looking to get arround 20 CFM at or around 200 psi.

Mabye I'm just asking for too much.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
773 Posts
Yes it dose list duty cycle... What frame is your motor you have now? and you do relize that is just the pump you are looking at for $1600 not a whole unit.

Uses For Heavy Duty Commercial Uses, Cycle On/Off while Providing Continuous Air with an 80/20 Duty Cycle

this is a pic of my home bulit compresser
[/IMG]

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes I realize its just the pump I'm sure I can find another motor to run it. I'm going to look for a bigger tank 120gal + size then I guess make a custom plate and bracket to mount the pump and motor on.

I think thats the pump i will get. Do you have a suggestion or recomendation for motor size I read that pump is low RPM (685) so I don't think it has to be fancy. 110 volts preferd I can get 220 in the shop but I'll have to run the wires.

·
Registered
773 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Dose it look similar to the motor in my pic? keep in mind that the pump is probably at least twice the size of your craftsman compressor. The motor is probably 10 inches in Dia.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its like yours but the straps go completely around the tank. I will need a bigger one I would think its a much bigger pump I don't think I should reuse the old one. and the motor has a sounded box on top.

I will be buying a new welder soon so I can fab one up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts