TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a word to share my Joy . I start my commercial rotary wing license school at the end of next month . Being that I have retired from work, I can how finish my dream :zbounce: , Getting trained and schooled in the Robinson R44 . I have around 200 hrs in a Cessna 172 fixed wing, The fling-wing is another ballgame but Like my son has said, I have one big step down . Will not be here to offend anymore with my schooling and all , But will update with my progress when the time comes .

·
Administrator
7,994 Posts
Good luck Darren, (with retirement and your goal) looking forward to your updates! :thumbsup:

Joe

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you much Joe , By the way a few of my hours was flying around Boston back when I was living in NH;)

·
̇
3,702 Posts
Best wishes pursuing your dream Darren..When you're not busy flying around come back, and let us know how things are going..

While you're on Auto-Pilot get some pics for us!.. :tongue:

Oh yeah, and don't forget to keep your "Sleeper" Project thread updated too..

Have fun, and be safe!
:thumbsup:

Rayo..

·
Super Moderator
9,133 Posts
Niiiice! One of my life goals is to get my private license and maybe, someday, own a small two or four seater (fixed wing)...

·
Lightly Seasoned
717 Posts
Congrats Darren on your retirement and for persuing your dream, when you get your license, fly out my way for a visit...LOL... Take Care Bud

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thank you much guys, Nick your right about the Gopro just one of the reasons for the purchase but will be a bit before I have some shots , Getting my ground school behind me first and my FAA exam's . Mike that would be a long Cross-country solo :eek: LOL Ray the sleeper is pretty much done , She is were I want her . Best of luck to you as well Brandon. Here is a nice video of a R22 getting a plane out of a tree;)

And the CFI is a bit colorful on the language, But he can fly that bird .

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ffEYqGGYXRk?list=PL9hoZORxdqsS1UBOWQ9lZrAmd6-E1MiHk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I've always wanted to do this. First question: Do landings need to equal takeoffs?

Really cool stuff....:thumbsup:

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've always wanted to do this. First question: Do landings need to equal takeoffs?

Really cool stuff....:thumbsup:

My limited experience both hands on and knowledge yes they do, Hovering is the most challenging, constant adjustments , Like the old saying " Like balancing a bowling ball on a ball point pen "

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
My limited experience both hands on and knowledge yes they do, Hovering is the most challenging, constant adjustments , Like the old saying " Like balancing a bowling ball on a ball point pen "
Spin a wheel fast enough on a horizontal plane, and it will tip vertical 90 degrees. Stick doesn't match compass points when it's spoiled up.

Here's a video of an iconic friend of mine...

And for God's sake man play it LOUD!

http://youtu.be/NRd-yMT_5NE

·
Super Moderator
10,269 Posts
" rotary wing license " took a second, lol.

I hear copters are way harder than fixed wing.

One of my cousins flew for an oil company; apparently the headquarters was in VA somewhere...

Coincidentally, he also flew people off the top of the Saigon and Tehran embassies in an emergency role, lol.

Good luck.

I'd be a terrible example of a pilot; I ain't gettin' in another plane without a chute. :)

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
How's the job market for helicopter pilots here in the US.
I've always been told that the market can be pretty tight with the US Army training more pilots than the US market needs. The only facts I could find were that the US Army wants to train 1500 pilots a year but I have no idea how the market is nationwide.

Do you have any insights into this considering your potential new career?

http://defensetech.org/2009/04/21/army-shifts-focus-to-helo-pilot-training/

Regards,
-g

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
No worries on a career, Mine was made in telecom , My son will be out of the service soon and putting the seahawks behind him , Will be joining him on his new adventure ;)

The wife just said its "Darren's time " Back to the books I go.

·
Super Moderator
10,269 Posts
All you need now are Dual Paintball Chainguns, and external speakers for "Ride of the Valkeries".

:cool:

EDIT: Are there enough guy-wires around that helipad? Dang! :eek:

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All you need now are Dual Paintball Chainguns, and external speakers for "Ride of the Valkeries".

:cool:

EDIT: Are there enough guy-wires around that helipad? Dang! :eek:

LoL. That would be a nice tune. Yep the wires are somthing else. Me and the pilot of beddy were talking about that. Helo pilots worse danger. WIRES. Will have a better shot of things when I get back to NC.

·
Super Moderator
10,269 Posts
LoL. That would be a nice tune.
That would scare the crap out of anyone below that has seen Apocalypse Now, lol.

I have a strange sense of humor...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts