TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This issue is on "Dirty Girl", my DD; 2000 v6 Accord.

I've had this noise for about a week already, but today it got very bad very quickly on my way back home from work. Last weekend I got under my car to see what I could find, but I was unable to find anything. The first thing I looked at was my suspension as that is what I worked on last; replaced sway bar bushings (4) and end links (4). All of that seemed to be in good order though. Then I inspected the front front CV boots on both ends and there were no tears on any of them. I inspected my wheels to ensure that they are on tight and not loose, and they're just fine. This has me stumped....

It happens mostly during deceleration, and it doesn't matter the speed. If I'm in a parking lot going 5MPH and let off the gas or if I'm on the freeway going 75MPH and let off the gas. As soon as I let off the gas the noise is there, granted the slower I'm going the slower the rotational noise. As soon as I hit the brakes (about 25% pressure or more) the noise goes away. If I hit the gas and accelerate, the noise goes away. If I'm cruising and feathering the gas pedal, the noise is somewhat present but not difficult to notice; in other words, you have to listen for it when cruising if the gas pedal is being feathered.

The noise is definitely not a nail / screw embedded in my tire as that sounds more like a "click" type noise. It's not brake pad indicator pin as that's more of a "chirp" or "squeal" type noise. This noise sounds like it's metal on metal. The only thing I can think of this being is a broken...as in it's in pieces...brake pad. I'm not sure though, so I need help.

·
Registered
584 Posts
caliper rubbing the pads against the rotors? Any signs of "shiny" metal on the brake components where there shouldn't be any? Brake hoses put in their correct spot near the struts, and not rubbing against a tire?

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
I'd get it in the air and spin each wheel and try to isolate it. Pull the brakes and look. I had a dry wheel bearing that made a weird sound.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
caliper rubbing the pads against the rotors? Any signs of "shiny" metal on the brake components where there shouldn't be any? Brake hoses put in their correct spot near the struts, and not rubbing against a tire?
I'll have to check that again when I get time to work on her. I won't be driving her at all this week until I can get this looked at this weekend. Inspecting brakes is definitely on my list of things to look at.

I'd get it in the air and spin each wheel and try to isolate it. Pull the brakes and look. I had a dry wheel bearing that made a weird sound.
I'll definitely be doing this. I'll check for wheel bearings as well. I hadn't thought of that!

·
Super Moderator
7,526 Posts
Does it sound like a scraping noise? If so, most likely a backing plate is bent slightly and rubbing on the rotor.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess it could be a scraping noise. I didn't drive it in to work today. I had my wife wake up extra early to take me to work in her Taurus, LOL.

·
Super Moderator
10,649 Posts
Is it an original driveshaft?

If not, it could be a bad ujoint.

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
This issue is on "Dirty Girl", my DD; 2000 v6 Accord.

As soon as I hit the brakes (about 25% pressure or more) the noise goes away. If I hit the gas and accelerate, the noise goes away.
Back in the old days with solid axles, if you had a rear wheel bearing on its way out, if you pulled the hand brake on slightly while you were moving, that would make the noise stop and confirm that its the wheel bearing at fault.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it an original driveshaft?

If not, it could be a bad ujoint.
It's FWD. The half shafts are still original, yes, although the CV boots are still in perfect condition.

·
Super Moderator
10,649 Posts
It's FWD. The half shafts are still original, yes, although the CV boots are still in perfect condition.
Accord v6; I missed that completely, lol.

I read V6 mn12... :)

As Emily Litella would say; "Nevermind".

:)

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Accord v6; I missed that completely, lol.

I read V6 mn12... :)

As Emily Litella would say; "Nevermind".

:)
Me too, thought we were talking Tbirds! :)
Same root causes though
No worries. That's why I put this thread in the "Miscellaneous" forum. :)

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I figured it out, and this is one for the ages.

My driver side front lug nuts were loose......

:|

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Haha I had that happen to one of my cars (not the T-bird) years ago it was about a month after the car had been in the shop for some new brake pads, and it ended up wrecking the wheel hub studs. We were on a long trip "up north" to visit family, and noticed a rhythmic knocking noise when crawling along in a traffic jam. I pulled over and checked the wheels and one of them was really loose on the hub. Got about 2-3 turns on the nuts before they were tight!!

The shop was a little country garage around the corner from work at the time. Nice chap ran it, but of course being British, I couldn't tell the shop owner that if was his fault, instead I gave him more money to fix it! It was right about then that I decided to resume fixing my cars myself.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts