TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car smells like rotten eggs ...

One person tells me its my catalytic converters ... another says I have a rich condition.

Also, upon first acceleration, the car bogs down -- but it can still accelerate hard.

I need any advice or thoughts guys ...

THANKS!!!

D

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
99% of the time the "cause" of the "smell" is bad cats.

But, then you have to find out "why" they went bad (usually an overly rich condition, lean will just burn them out.)

I may be wrong on this since I've never had one go bad. Yet....250K on my stock, 1994 T'Bird cats!!

So actually (and probably) it's both. :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right now, I need to replace my shocks -- 386 over at Sears.

But I just got off the phone with my dad and he says I might have a bad oxygen sensor. I guess I need to find a place where I can go get the code read for my check engine light.

But if i fix the rich condition, can I still salvage the cats? I want to figure out if I can hollow out the cats by myself, because going to school and paying for this car isn't leaving me with much of an option money wise.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Are you in Tallahassee as your name would indicate? If so, you could get away without cats...don't know if you can hollow them out yourself though.

A bad O2 sensor by itself wouldn't cause a smell I wouldn't think, but if the cat went bad it could throw off the O2 reading and thus throw a code and light up the check engine light.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, I am in Tallahassee.

Do you think I could find someone to put exhaust on me without catalytic converters? What would that do to the computer?

Well, I was thinking the oxygen sensor would cause the air/fuel mixture to be more rich ... and them the smell would then come.

I really appreciate your guys help like you wouldnt believe ...

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
I'm sure you wouldn't have too many problems finding someone to do it in Florida. It is technically against the law as far as I know, but that is up to you. You would need a chip or MIL eliminators to deal with that problem.

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
Unless it's become illegal in Florida now too, Auto Zone will read your codes for FREE!

Also, I thought TCCoA required new members to fill out their year/model/engine before their account was activated. You got through! :eek:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've had this account for a while ...

AutoZone ... hmmm. I'll check it out.

But say I got the cats taken out, would I have merely a check engine light or do you think the computer would prevent it from driving completly...

I miss my El Camino ...... soooo easy :) 8 cylinders, 4 barrels, 2 exhaust pipes.

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
Make your own MIL eliminators: http://www.cougardb.com/howtoshow.php?howtoid=8

You don't want your check engine light on all the time because then if something else goes wrong you'll have no idea. Other than that with MIL elims. the EEC doesn't care if you have cats or not.

·
Registered
287 Posts
FSU bird...

Go to our member discount page and order some Tokico Blues from Shoxs. I out mines in this week and they made a hella difference.

House

1 - 10 of 10 Posts