TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, lately i've noticed that i have to turn the key longer or or try a couple times for my T-Bird to start after it's been sitting. It starts fine if the engine is warm however. Any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mines doing the same thing, so I could use an answer to that one as well. I have thought though that it's something to do with the fuel. Or starter.

·
RWD is for Men!!
236 Posts
i'm gunna guess its your battery... replace your fuel filter as well because mine seems to start faster once i replaced it... plus it helps your fuel mileage ever so slightly

·
Registered
457 Posts
could be the fuel pump on its way out, letting the pressure back out of the fuel system and draining the fuel in the lines and rails back into the tank. when it sits over night, the system "bleeds" down back into the tank. after you get it started in the morning, the pressure stays on the system long enough to make restarting it easy. then when it sits for a long period of time, it bleeds again.

just my opinion.

jamie

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm thinking fuel system too. Try turning the car on for a few seconds before cranking it and see if that helps. Also, could just be the fuel pressure regulator and not the pump.

·
Registered
457 Posts
true (just switched over to fuel injection mindset....been working on my '73 F250 so long, i forgot what a regulator was...haha :))

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
now its getting hard to start all the time and even is going sluggish when i start to drive, then when i get to a certain rpm some pickup kicks in (not sure what rpm since ford "forgot" to put one on my car) I'm replacing the fuel filter in a couple minutes so hopefully thats it otherwise where's the regulator located and how do i check that?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it's the fuel pump... i can't even start it now, there was barely ANY gas coming out when i switched the filter. So i'm pretty sure it's the pump or maybe that white "sock" filter that connects to it. Is there any tricks i should know when dropping the tank? And is there a screen or something blocking me from sifoning the gas out? I'm gonna try searchin this stuff on the forum but i gotta get my car running asap so if anyone has some advice please help me out. Thanks

·
Registered
118 Posts
Trust me, check out the pressure regulator before you go dropping the tank. I have a 94 and my sister has a 95. My sisters car was doing the same thing yours is. My dad was sure the fuel pump was bad so he spent a few hours dropping the tank to replace the pump, just to find out the problem didn't go away. Turned out to be the regulator. Its a ton easier to change than the pump and cheaper too. Its a silver can located on the top of the engine hooked to the fuel rail.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
how do you know if it's bad or not? and if i ran a scanner trough the computer is there a certain code i might get that will tell me exactly whats wrong? And where should i focus my listening to hear the fuel pump? Thanks guys. I also tried to bypass the relay and start the car to see if it was that, but i wasn't sure which thing it was in the trunk(if it's even in the trunk) so i checked all of them... no luck

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so i can hear the pump going, but we checked the little gauge spot that sticks out from my fuel line on the engine and there was almost NO pressure whatsoever. So does that mean it's the pump?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Heyya, responding to fold_em83's response. When I start my car, in order for it to start efficiently, I prime the pump, whereas, I turn the ignition to on, then, turn it off, then on again, repeat a third time, then start, car cranks up normally, albeit quickly.

However, when just going from start to crank starting cold, it takes a while. I was thinking the fuel pump seeing as though it may not be putting out enough fuel sometimes, as I have a miss while idling as well. I was just gonna have the gas tank cleaned out, and fuel pump and filter changed to advoid any hassle.

Do you think that would solve anything, or would there be something I should check first, like the pressure regulator? Thanks

·
5,650 Posts
When you said barely any gas was coming out, was this with the filter detached and just coming straight out of the feed line? If this is the case, I have a real stupid question but I have to ask...There was enough gas in the tank, right? I'm assuming there was and if you had no filter on there and turned the key to prime the system and barely anything came out, then the problem is definitely not only your regulator. There should be a strong, stready stream of gas flowing from that line if it is bare.

·
5,650 Posts
Hawkeye21 said:
Heyya, responding to fold_em83's response. When I start my car, in order for it to start efficiently, I prime the pump, whereas, I turn the ignition to on, then, turn it off, then on again, repeat a third time, then start, car cranks up normally, albeit quickly.

However, when just going from start to crank starting cold, it takes a while. I was thinking the fuel pump seeing as though it may not be putting out enough fuel sometimes, as I have a miss while idling as well. I was just gonna have the gas tank cleaned out, and fuel pump and filter changed to advoid any hassle.

Do you think that would solve anything, or would there be something I should check first, like the pressure regulator? Thanks
I don't think that this would be a regulator problem. The regulator has a diaphragm that is held under pressure with a spring. When the pump primes the fuel rail, it sends as much fuel as the pump is able to in the few seconds it is activated. If the regulator is faulty, it won't matter how many times you prime the rail. If it is not holding the pressure it should, then either the spring has weakened or the diaphragm is ruptured. In either of these cases, no amount of priming will bring the pressure up to where it needs to be held. If the regulator was only letting a small amount of fuel to return to the tank when it shouldn't, it wouldn't take several attempts to prime the rail to get it up to the pressure it needs to be at.

Now, if the pump is weak or there is a restriction in the line, it may take a few primes to get the pressure in the rail up to where it needs to be to properly atomize the fuel when the injector fires it. This is most likely your problem and it explains why it takes several primes to start quickly. On the first prime, the pressure in the rail isn't high enough to sufficiently atomize the fuel, so if you try to start the car it takes a while for the pressure to build up enough while the engine is cranking. Before spending the hundreds of dollars it would take to change the pump and clean out the tank and all that, I would simply replace the fuel filter. That could be the entire cause of the problem right there. Afterwards, if that doesn't fix the problem I would have the pressure at the rail checked when you first turn the key. If the pressure isn't above 30 psi after the first prime, then that could mean the pump isn't putting out enough. If the pressure doesn't hold, that could mean the one-way valve in the pump is shot, and injector is leaking, or the regulator is bad. Like I said, I'd start small with the filter and then go from there.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I see, I'll give the fuel filter a change and see what happens. Thanks! That was highly informative. It could be an impurity in the line as well, because I had to fix my kitchen sink yesterday, it streamed water so slow, then after I took it apart, I saw to little pieces of rust in the sink head, took those peices out, and the water gushes out now, what a diference, and I was about to buy a new sink head. I guess it's true, a mosquito can kill a giant. Thanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I fixed my problem... we partially dropped the tank but not all the way, and were able to change the pump without too much of a problem. My car is so rusty underneath that i could just bend the heat shield out of the way to let the tank drop a bit. my old pump was weak and the hose connected to it was almost shredded!!! but i got it changed. However my tank was full when i started and when i finally finished at midnight it was a little under half...
Good luck on findin everything Hawkeye21

·
Registered
68 Posts
Congratulations! I've contemplated many times to change my fuel pump, of course, that's a lot of money to do. Haven;t gotten around to chaning my fuel filter yet, everytime I think about doing it, I think of it as a hard job, which it probably isn;t, I'm just being over cautious, However, would about reading this have any tips on changing the fuel filter on a 94, like, what tools I'd need and thing, and what to look out for? Thanks!

·
5,650 Posts
I've never had to use special tools, just a flathead screwdriver. I've heard others on here having to use a quick-disconnect but I'm not sure specifically what years that applies to. My 96 has to clips, a black one and a white one. They make a scissor-like tool to pry the clip off but for me I've had success with just a screwdriver.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah you can do it with a screw driver. It took me maybe 7 minutes to change the filter. Not a big deal at all. And not that expensive either.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts