TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is rough estimate on having suspension redone front and back with labor? Everything on my bird appears original minus shocks and springs, so minus that.

·
Super Moderator
12,562 Posts
Forget the stealerships!

Basic Shocks: $300
Front Swaybar end links: $100
Front Upper control Arms: $200
Lower Control Arms: $200

Alignment: $100

Should be able to get this done for $1000 or less - Labor included. Probably less than that. I'e got a spreadsheet of what I spent on mine. I'll look it up later.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Forget the stealerships!

Should be able to get this done for $1000 or less - Labor included. Probably less than that. I'e got a spreadsheet of what I spent on mine. I'll look it up later.
If you've got a spreadsheet that would be great! Is that factoring in all the bushings, etc.?

·
Super Moderator
5,132 Posts
If you've got a spreadsheet that would be great! Is that factoring in all the bushings, etc.?
There's actually a sticky; you can use the part numbers there against RockAuto, JCWhitney, Advance, AutoZone, et al.

A few items are not just orderable, however; Jay Richmond ( 98Mark8LSC here, but he responds quicker on Facebook) makes the steel portion of the strut rod to frame bushings, for instance. He also has stock on the front bushing rubbers. But everything else just about is orderable from "The Usual Suspects."

RwP

·
Banned
575 Posts
Forget the stealerships!

Wow, I spent like 1/4 that..I got a whole front end kit and rear end kit for under 300$ . I can't vouch for quality as I only drove the car for 2 years after but it was on rails until I sold it..
You could take this opportunity to upgrade to mark8 rears, in willing to bet someone on here has a set to sell.
And man, one these mn12s get steering rebuilt, imo for what they are they handle awesome.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
What is rough estimate on having suspension redone front and back with labor? Everything on my bird appears original minus shocks and springs, so minus that.
How handy are you with a wrench, and how much time do you have?

It's a weekend job to do the upper control arms, lower control arms, inner and outer tie rods. Not sure about strut rods, I haven't had to do them yet. An 18mm Ratcheting wrench is your friend on the upper control arms, all the parts are readily available, and you can do the work yourself, learn a thing or two, and save a ton of money.

Reactions: CDsDontBurn

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
$1000, lol! I don't see how you're getting out of a shop for less than $1200-1300. And even then, that may include sub-par parts.

The only way you can guarantee good parts that will last is to buy them yourself.

Al

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
If you do everything (upper and lower control arms, strut rod bushings (I know, don't use the ones listed below, use the good ones our members make, they're in here just for comparison) including the hubs and tie rod ends, you're looking at just north of $500 in parts.

Then, the labor involved will be very expensive.

Do it yourself, it's really not so bad. I did the uppers on my first one in a dirt driveway over the course of a weekend.

Attachments

Reactions: lurch

·
Super Moderator
12,562 Posts
Wow, I spent like 1/4 that..I got a whole front end kit and rear end kit for under 300$ . I can't vouch for quality as I only drove the car for 2 years after but it was on rails until I sold it..
You could take this opportunity to upgrade to mark8 rears, in willing to bet someone on here has a set to sell.
And man, one these mn12s get steering rebuilt, imo for what they are they handle awesome.
Those are rough estimates and I factored labor into the totals. Yes, of course the parts alone can be had for less (you get what you pay for thought) and labor costs can vary.

Sorry, you'll have to wait until I get home in a few days. I don't have it with me right now.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I want to get 1.6 lowering springs what do I need (or should) replace in front & back? I've read shorter end links in rear, but not sure which to go with. AND, should I be replacing the sway bar(s) while I'm doing this or are stock OK as-is?

·
Super Moderator
12,562 Posts
Stock is fine. If you want to beef up the anti-sway bar system get the one and a quarter (1-1/4") bar for the back and call it good. I think I've got some shorter end links for the back anti-swaybar in the garage that I could sell you. When I get home I'll look.

You'll also want to replace the rear spring cups. Laurel Mountain Mustang used to sell them but I think they're out of business.

You can get them here for a good price. http://www.lethalperformance.com/maximum-motorsports-99-01-cobra-irs-rear-spring-isolators.html

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,518 Posts
Autozones usually carry an assortment of energy suspension endlink kits on the shelves, just measure the distance between the control arm and the sway bar in the flat position to determine the length you need. I could be wrong but I think Addco comes with a set if you go that route, I know for sure they have their own kits but it's the same design as the ES stuff.

·
Super Moderator
12,562 Posts
That's right. Addco supplies a set with their bar. That's why I've got an extra set in the garage. It's been so long since I bought mine I forgot about that.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Beating TM on this one! I'm in the slooooowwwww process of parts gathering for suspension myself right now, and here's my list. As far as I know, it's complete, but the pros like TM may have some additional input. Mind you, I'm looking to make my car handle my style of driving as well as future track days. Also, my $2,350 cost does not include shipping costs, so if you factor that in, it'll probably be more like $2,600 or maybe more. And of course, this is just a parts list so shop costs will need to be included on top of all this for any work that you don't do yourself, that is, if you do any of it yourself.

Autozones usually carry an assortment of energy suspension endlink kits on the shelves, just measure the distance between the control arm and the sway bar in the flat position to determine the length you need. I could be wrong but I think Addco comes with a set if you go that route, I know for sure they have their own kits but it's the same design as the ES stuff.
That's right. Addco supplies a set with their bar. That's why I've got an extra set in the garage. It's been so long since I bought mine I forgot about that.
So there's no need in purchasing end links with the ADDCO bars? Is this true for front / back bars?

·
Super Moderator
12,562 Posts
Good spreadsheet there CDs.

I can only speak for the rear ADDCO bar - I didn't replace the front. But, yes. The rear bar comes with a set of end links.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Good spreadsheet there CDs.

I can only speak for the rear ADDCO bar - I didn't replace the front. But, yes. The rear bar comes with a set of end links.
The front bar will not come with a set of end links.
Thanks guys about the info on end links. Let me know if there's anything I'm missing for a full and complete build sheet. I now know that I won't need the end links for the rear but I will for the front, so I've updated my list on that. For example, I'm curious to know about bump stops. Will those be included with the Tokicos when I buy them, or will I have to purchase them separately? If I purchase them separately, what would be the best ones to get?

Any other little details that I'm missing on my build sheet? Like, I'm looking to do a complete R&R of everything suspension related. She needs to be able to handle pretty much right out of the alignment gate (see what I did there).

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Both Tokicos and Konis came with bump stops; not to say yours will, but they should. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts