TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey what's up everybody Im having the same problem as Justin. I have 95' T-Bird 3.8. The check engine light has come on, and now when I brake at a stop light the car will shudder. Also when I go in reverse down a hill the car will sometimes drop so far in RPM that the engine will shut off. Anytime I shift from idle, the rpm drops, and the dash flashes. Its as if the ngine shuts off for a 1/2 a second. Is it the O2 sensors??? Vaccum leak?? What should I do? The head gasket was replaced about 10,000 miles ago, and the mileage is at 146,000. I get oil changes regularly, and replaced a spark plug wire in the summer ( one was brushing against mainfold), along with all the plugs. Any advice? ALso I seem to be getting less gas mileage. I filled up the 18gallon tank and im getting about 270 Is that normal? I feel as if I was getting closer to 300. I sometimes can control this shudder if I pump the brakes when I stop a little, or start braking early. I just wanna take care of this car.

·
Registered
620 Posts
1.Pull the codes. 2.Did you replace the o2 sensors when you changed the headgaskets? If not, that could be your problem.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never replaced the o2 sensors, that is probably the case. I noticed on my way to work once the RPM drops below 500 the car rumbles. Ill definetly pull those codes. Thanks!

·
Registered
98 Posts
use Mercon V transmission fluid...

i have the same probs. And i should be chaning the fluids sometime this week.
Ill let u know how it works :)

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
It sounds like it could even be a problem with the transmission or torque converter. Since the 95 tranny and TC are electronically controlled, I think it would throw a code if there was a problem.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am having the same problem in my 94' SC. The check engine light has not come on and I also have Mercon V in my trans. I think it is a vacuum leak in my case. From what I have been told, the hose that goes to the PCV valve can cause a problem like this if has a small hole in it. If you find a solution to your problem, please post back. Good luck.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Don't forget to check your (vacuum) brake booster unit...a bad diaphram can add unmetered air and cause erratic/low idle...
Just a thought!

DR:cool:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I pulled the codes and I got 157 and 159

Those are MAF sensor codes. i unplugged the MAF sensor and drove the car down the street and back and the was no change. What should I do now? Those are the only codes being thrown at me. Should I get some Mercon V fluid? Should I clean the MAF and see what happens? Or just go to a junkyard and snatch a new one to see the results. Or should I uplug it again and drive a little bit longer. What happens if I leave the MAF unplugged and keep driving if the conditions do get better?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts