TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says, I have a '97 Kenny Brown bird w/ 60k miles. A Vortech S-trim blower and some other goodies. She has a hard time at idle, like it's misfiring, and also below 2k rpm on the highway. Fuel mileage is crap, about 150 miles to 3/4 of a tank. I had the codes pulled yesterday and got the following results:

PO171, PO172, PO174, PO175.

PO171 bank 1 (cylinder1) and PO174 bank 2 indicate the fuel/air ratio is too lean. The fuel trim system is a the rich correction limit.

PO172 bank 1 and PO175 bank 2 indicate the fuel/air ratio is too rich. The fuel trim system is at the lean correction limit.

After reading that, it confused me a little bit. How can it be running lean and rich at the same time? Am I looking to deep into the problem, making it harder than it seems? After the codes were dumped the car ran fine until the comp figured out something was out of whack. I'm guessing (and I could be completely wrong on this) 1. bad injector 2. vacuum leak 3. bad plug/wire 4. bad EGR. Injector were replace w/ 30# injectors back in July, plugs and wires aren't much older....I guess that doesn't really mean anything though.

Please give me a starting place, so I can chase some gremlins.

Thanx for the help in advance.

Dan

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Have you cleaned the MAF? Maybe do that and then reset the EEC to clear the codes and see what you get.

Jay

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I'd use a spray made for electronics (like contact cleaner or something like that) instead of brake cleaner. The corrosive nature of the brake cleaner may screw up the MAF.

If the spray doesn't help, you may have to clean the wires using a Q-tip, which would require removing the MAF.

Jay

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Do not use brake cleaner !

If you need to go to the store to get something to clean it with; then get some electronic contact spray cleaner, or MAF sensor spray cleaner.

Make sure the MAF sensor has cooled down before cleaning it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I realized the error of my ways before using the brake cleaner. I had some contact cleaner here at work, so I used it. For what it's worth cleaning the MAF didn't work. I can't find any vacuum leaks, so my next step is to change the plugs, just for giggles and grins.

Dan

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
Rolling-Thunder said:
Do not use brake cleaner !

If you need to go to the store to get something to clean it with; then get some electronic contact spray cleaner, or MAF sensor spray cleaner.

Make sure the MAF sensor has cooled down before cleaning it.
what the f......they actually make a MAF cleaner now?
Let me guess, K&N makes it? lol

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
lol .... Now that would be funny - if true.

QRC makes it - or whoever makes the electronic contact spray cleaner.

Probably has the same ingredients

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Crc maybe? I think I have a can of this at home.

Jay

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, back to the original topic....She is still misfiring at low RPM. Cleaned the MAF, pretty damn sure there are no vacuum leaks. Should I reset the EEC? What step should I take next??

Dan

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
LowFlyinDuc said:
So, back to the original topic....She is still misfiring at low RPM. Cleaned the MAF, pretty damn sure there are no vacuum leaks. Should I reset the EEC? What step should I take next??

Dan

As was mentioned above in a an earlier post, yes - reset the computer.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
did you ever have the EEC reprogrammed to work with the bigger injectors?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Going to reset the EEC now.

No, I haven't had it retuned since putting on the new injectors. That will be one of the first things I do after I get moved. Right now I just wanna get the ol girl running decent enough to get me by til then.

Thanx for the suggestions

Dan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts