TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
earlier today on my way to work i ran into a small problem, had a flat tire happen at around 75mph. nothing major, i didnt notice any differance in the way it drove but i pulled over anyways just to check it out....glad i did, if i had gone further i would have shredded the tire for sure. ok so on to why im writting. after changing the tire i got back on the road and it started to hesitate and barely get up to speed, bout 1/2 a mile later it kicked into gear and gave me no problems the rest of the way to work. after work, i hoped in and went to leave, my car kept dying on me. once i got it to start, i kept the rpms up for a bit. that seemed to help, so i took off. drove maybe 7-8 miles, got off the highway and was sitting at a red light, the car started to sputter and run about 700 rpms. but when driving down the road it seems fine. also the past week ive noticed a humming sound coming from the front of my car. Im kinda thinking that its my clutch fan cause my car is running a little hotter than before, not alot hotter. it stays within the safe range. am i looking at alot of work, or will this be something simple. the car is a 94 cougar with a 4.6

·
Registered
404 Posts
Which tire? If it was the passenger side, and the tire came apart, I'd check the vacuum lines in the fender well. By the way a 94 4.6 has an electric fan- no clutch.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Which tire? If it was the passenger side, and the tire came apart, I'd check the vacuum lines in the fender well. By the way a 94 4.6 has an electric fan- no clutch.
That was 1st thought. My 2nd one will probably be thought stupid but check your fuel filter. I chased this on a car years ago for days. Finally called the owner and asked for a blow by blow of the last drive b4 the car acted up and sure enough he had a flat tire. Jacking the car up at an angle dislodged crap in the filter. Changed it, problem solved. I know, sounds implausible but.........true.

Brad

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
why doesnt the original poster list any and all maintenance he has done to the car and the time since the maintenance was done to alleviate the task of having to list all the things that need to be done to properly maintain these cars :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it was the front passsenger tire that went down. ive replaced the fuel filter recently, so im fairly certin thats not it. far as other work ive done, just had a oil change ive replaced the spark plugs and wires and replaced a couple of small hoses. i need to replace the belt but im sure thats not it.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
The erratic idle and humming sound from the front end sounds like the IAC valve may be going bad. They can hum sometimes when they are clogged up.

Jay

·
Registered
404 Posts
When you jacke up the car did you make sure not to crush the lines that run along the rail underneath? (I know it's a dumb question but you never know)

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
When you jacke up the car did you make sure not to crush the lines that run along the rail underneath? (I know it's a dumb question but you never know)
its definitely not out of the question...some people just dont know how to jack up cars lol

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
problem solved! all it was a small hose that had come lose behind the intake manifold. i just poped it back on and it ran smooth. i took it for a road test, it got up to speed with no problems really....trans still slips goin 1-2, it does have pleanty of fluid...checked that earlier today. glad its fixed

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was going to suggest maybe Overdrive was stuck in the engaged position but never mind. Does anyone know if that is a know problem with the 4.6l 96 thunderbird? I have noticed a lot of hesitation when coming off highway speeds but have not had it die on my yet.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was going to suggest maybe Overdrive was stuck in the engaged position but never mind. Does anyone know if that is a know problem with the 4.6l 96 thunderbird? I have noticed a lot of hesitation when coming off highway speeds but have not had it die on my yet.
my shift knob is missing so my overdrive is stuck on, but i was told cause of all the hills and stuff having overdrive on was a good thing. unless i was towing something or whatever.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts