TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Cougar will start cold just fine, run high idle, drop down to 750 or so and idle fine, but when I put it in gear to back out, it drops to a thump, thump idle like I have oversized cams or something. I mean, it sounds cool, but I know it's not right. As soon as I stop, put it back in park and back to drive to take off again, it's fine.

If the IAC was the issue, it would not idle right when cold. Wondering if it's the EAC? Oh, there are no codes either.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it only reverse? What happens if you go to drive in a cold start?
Hi Kidd,
I will try putting in drive next time I drive it (it is up on jacks not getting the drive shaft balanced).

As for cold weather, I rarely have it outside to try and start it in cold weather. I would need to let it sit outside a night and try it in the morning.

Thanks for the suggestion Kidd.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My guess is you may have a vacuum leak.
Good point Bob... I did replace all of the hoses on my Mark VII at one point which helped the idle somewhat. That is easy enough to do, there are not as many hoses on the Cougar as the Mark had.

I think I have enough of about all the hoses in the Cougar and after some 24 years, something has had to have rotted away.

Thanks! I'll look into that as well.

Tried the car in drive after starting it cold. It did the same thing as reverse... really low idle, put it in reverse, the same thing. So it's a cold start issue. But like I said, if I let it just idle for a bit (10-15 seconds?) and then take off, it's fine. If it was the IAC, I don't think I would get the high idle and drop to low idle when first started.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I let the car idle for 1 min after starting it cold this morning and it backed of the garage out fine with little or no hesitation or low idle.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I started some thing similar it ended up a bad pcv valve and grommet replaced them both and ran fine in cold start in warm weather and cold now. it was doing some thing weird but after I did that it was fine

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi all, sorry been away for a few weeks.

Thanks Kidd for the suggestion and as I thought back, I had already gone through my hoses on the engine. Not to say one could still be bad or gone bad, but will check just the same.

95Merc, thanks for the idea, I think I checked that as well. I guess shacking it does not neccessary mean it is good? Blowing into it and sucking on it with some air will tell if it is bad as well. Will check.

I noticed 3 times in the last couple weeks running back and forth from home to the hospital that my Check Engine light would come on and go off. So I am going to run codes, but sounds like something is not hooked up right, is failing or is broke.

I will update more when I find something out.

Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts