TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car seems like it may be out of time or something. It may be the cold weather we are having in W.TN right now, but I have to hold my foot on the gas to keep the car running, or it will die. The other day after I dropped my 3yr old off at daycare, the car would not start, so I put a new battery on it, and it seemed like I gained 50 hp, it started right up and idled great. Then the next morning, it was hard to start again, and after the engine warms up after a few miles, you can feel a surge of power, and I can take my foot off the gas at redlights after that.
This may or may not be related, but it seemed like this all started when I used my SCT X-Cal 2 back around November. I don't know what I did, but my flash tool froze up and SCT's customer service told me to download a newer version, but I haven't done it yet b/c I have been busy w/ other things (deer hunting) but the season was over a month ago yesterday, and I need to fix this. Any help would be great.Bradd

·
Super Moderator
11,175 Posts
I just fixed this!

It was the Idle air control, or IAC.

Exactly the same symptoms as you describe.

Search IAC and you will see several threads.

It also cured the system rich check engine light that I had chalked up to a sticking injector.

It was much worse on cold days, and failed totally and didnt come back, leading me to replace it.

Expensive for a little pos solenoid, but worth ever penny.

·
5,650 Posts
I agree with the IAC prognosis. When it's hard to start, you should try tapping on the IAC with a wrench or screwdriver and then try starting the car again. If it starts right up, then you really know the IAC is stuck. If it still doesn't start, it's not guaranteed to be the IAC but there's still a pretty good chance.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
wouldn't hurt to have autozone check your alternator either

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
master486 said:
I agree with the IAC prognosis. When it's hard to start, you should try tapping on the IAC with a wrench or screwdriver and then try starting the car again. If it starts right up, then you really know the IAC is stuck. If it still doesn't start, it's not guaranteed to be the IAC but there's still a pretty good chance.
It it does that it's sure sign it's the IAC sticking...

I had the same IAC symptoms and just took off the IAC valve and rinsed the inside with rubbing alcohol as that's all I had on had at the time. I just put a thumb over one end, poured some in, put my palm of the other end and shook it up and poured it out. Then swabbed around as best I could inside with my pinkie finger. I repeated it a few times until it seemed clean. That was 2+ yrs ago and it's been fine ever since.

If the motor (edit: the electric motor that controls the IAC) isn't failing you can try cleaning it out before swapping in a new IAC... however I hear it's much more grief to R&R it on the 94~95's. The 96-97 is easy as pie.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts