TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just purchased a 92 Mercury Grand Marquis LS. It has 59k miles on the 4.6L, this baby also has the police package which includes true dual exhaust with an H-pipe, unfortunately the plumbing is only 2" in diameter. I even added a set of 40 series FlowMasters to hear this baby roar. My question is what would cause a rough idle. I have a rough idle at times, to the point of it eventually stalling. It will idle rough on a cold start or when it is warmed up, but not every time. It will run as smooth as silk, then all of a sudden it will idle rough. Since I have owned it, I have replaced the fuel filter and plugs and the idle problem did not improve. The filter was very dirty, but the plugs looked perfect. It has the original wires on it, but they look great. I was thinking that it might be a dirty TPS. I was thinking bad O2 sensors, but the check engine light never comes on. Any thoughts other than spark plug wires and where is the TPS located on these things?

I am most positive that the trans. has never been serviced. I know the issues that concern the AODE, and I want to do some updating. I used to own a 93 Mark VIII with the AODW trans. The only problem is there is no cover to drain the TC on the Mercury. How do I get the old fluid out of the TC? I definitely want to switch over to Mercron V and update the pistons. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does anyone know how I can drain the torch converter? There is no dust cover on the bell housing. I am going to assume there is no drain plug on the TC. How else can I get the old fluid out?

·
Registered
460 Posts
What I did was take a big socket wrench and a breaker bar and but it on the crank shaft. Got under my car and rotated the engine till the bolt was lined up. Not hard just takes patience.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is no way to get to the drain plug of the TC. I have no hole in the bell housing to access the TC, so really, I cannot tell if the TC even has a drain plug at all. My question was what other way could I drain the TC? Thanks anyway.

Adam

1 - 6 of 6 Posts