TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes the IACs are notorious for going bad or getting 'clogged' up. If you take it off and clean it with some CRC you can see if that'll help diagnose it. Cleaning them only lasts for so long so if you have the old style (with a spring) you should replace it with a new redesigned one.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the one I have on there is only about a year old but I know that means nada . The baffling part is how incredibly smooth it is after about a minute.

Start up idle is only about 800 - 1000 then it drops down to about 600 hundred where it always stays. Weather does not seem to be a factor.

Tony

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
sounds like an A/F problem when the car starts in open-loop (using only the maf), and then the O2s fix things out once it goes into closed loop after about 35 seconds or so (maybe longer depending on how cold the coolant is at startup)

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Yes the IACs are notorious for going bad or getting 'clogged' up. If you take it off and clean it with some CRC you can see if that'll help diagnose it. Cleaning them only lasts for so long so if you have the old style (with a spring) you should replace it with a new redesigned one.

i am having a similar problem. i think it could be the IAC the way you described it. when i start it up the rpm needle raises and lowers from like 600 to about a 1000 steady it happens when im in park and drive, basically anytime i have my foot off the gas pedal. and the weather does seem to effect it; i noticed it alittle during last fall when i first got it and now its come back during the spring and it seems worse..

·
Registered
933 Posts
I have a problem that I think is similar to this. I start my car and it idles pretty low and raises and drops sporadically and has died a couple times when I try to shift into reverse or drive, but once I get going it's fine. I replaced my PCV valve and grommet and it seems to be doing better, though mine seems to also be affected by the weather and today isn't really one of those days, but when it starts it just feels better, more controlled. This maybe different than everyone else problem, but its $5 to replace the valve and grommet so it's worth a shot if you have something similar. Just looking at mine it looked like it needed it because the valve was pretty loose in the grommet and was sticking out of it's hole.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts