TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everytime I drive in my cougar it seems the ride could be alot smoother. With most of the roads I can feel the texture of the concrete through my car, even brand new concrete roads. Even with the slightest bump it will be multiplied to what a big bump or chug would feel like. The cougar is a 1996 Xr7 with 87,000 miles. Do I need new shocks or springs or both?:confused::confused: Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Worn shocks cause bouncing and a lot of unwanted movement in turns, but the ride is not harsh. My first guess would be way over inflated tires.

·
Registered
36 Posts
mine does it too. I'm on 17's but when i had these same 17"s on my previous tbird the ride wasnt as rough. I havent lowered the vehicle yet nor have i touched the suspension. Its got 162,000 miles too. I want to lower it and give it a nicer ride, what are the recommendations?

Marcus

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Also, if your tires are really worn you'll feel rough roads more since there's so little of the flexible rubber tread left to soak up the little stuff. I'm always amazed at how much smoother it seems whenever I get new tires.

·
Registered
36 Posts
my tires are fairly new. probably less than 8,000 miles on them. The car rides like a car with cut springs. I feel every bump in the road, my cd skips going over cracks that never were a problem on any other car before. Something's definitely wrong. I'm probably going to put on either eibach's and KYB or the tokico spring/shock sets. I can't stand the ride how it is right now.

Marcus

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
mpoweredbyvtec said:
my tires are fairly new. probably less than 8,000 miles on them. The car rides like a car with cut springs. I feel every bump in the road, my cd skips going over cracks that never were a problem on any other car before. Something's definitely wrong. I'm probably going to put on either eibach's and KYB or the tokico spring/shock sets. I can't stand the ride how it is right now.

Marcus
If you don't like it now,wait until you lower it..you'll hate it.
JL

·
Registered
36 Posts
something is definitely defective on the vehicle though. My old tbird didnt ride like this before or after i lowered it, with the exact same rims/tires. There's no reason why a factory suspension on 17's should ride this rough. My last tbird rode like a caddy, just as I'd expect a large car should. Any ideas why this one would be so bad?

Marcus

1 - 8 of 8 Posts