TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I am going to have to do head gaskets again. There was a post saying to use different head bolts. My question is what are the torque specs if you do not use Ford head bolts. :( :mad: :confused:

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
hey arvin, i am in houston if you need a hand with changing them. i have changed my gaskets before with the help of a buddy, so i know what to expect. what bolts did you use? i dont know the specs off the top of my head.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HG failure

Big Mike, I appreciate the offer. I do not know yet where I am going to pull it down. I may go to my brothers. He has a big garage. When I did this back in March or April. I had the heads checked and milled and I used the OEM TTY bolts. I have seen where people used different head bolts than OEM and I wondered what the Torque would be on them. I have a Chiltons but it only shows OEM where you torque down in four steps then back off and retighten so many degrees. I need some advise on which head bolts to use. Thanks to all in advance for the suggestions.

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
i used the arp head studs made for a chevy 2.8 v6. they are about $40 cheaper than the tbird ones, and they work just fine. the chevy ones are shorter than the tbird ones, which may require some grinding down as they may interfere with the exhaust manifold bolts. summit racing sells them. i dont know what the torque specs on them are. the specs are either given in a repair manual or they come with the studs.

lemme know if you need a hand.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts