TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, when im cruising around town and i apply a little throttle the prm's suddenly drop rather than climb....the car will eventually correct the rpm's with enough throttle.....whats going on here?.....no cel either.

·
Banned
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
no one?.....damn, i though this place was full of t-bird gurus.

well, im kinda steering towars my TC.....but the tranny shifts just fine....i had it flushed a couple months back.....i had a 95 mustang (automatic) a while back, it started doing the same thing, so i had the tranny pan dropped and the filter replaced....no help.....so i doubt its just my tranny filter on the bird (again, i only had it back flushed)....im hoping somone will tell me its just a sensor.

·
Registered
172 Posts
i'd say check your TPS with the engine running. check the voltage with the car idleing and with the middle wire probed (and the negative grounded) and the ohm-meter on the 20V setting check that there is 0.97V @ idle. then as you cycle it upward into higher revs, see if it is a smooth transition to higher voltage readings. it should top out at about 5V @ WOT.
hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
mine does this also. slightly push on the gas while driving, and the RPMs go down before they go up. i cleaned MAF and whatever sensor is on the very top of the intake. no dice.

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
It's the TCC relocking after unlocking from zero throttle. It's a normal action of the TCC and the software.
JL

·
Banned
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ahhhh.....fixed it (replaced it) , it was the tps....all's good now.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
tps = sensor on top of intake? how much was it?

·
Registered
172 Posts
well, good thing it was somrthing simple and not too involved like the balancer or worse, the torque converter!!

·
Banned
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tps = sensor on top of intake? how much was it?
36 bucks at autozone (they stock em).....took me a whole 3 min to replace it....lol

and yeah, im glad it wasnt my tc.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
how would i get to it? is it directly behind the IAC 90* off? i think i just found it...

·
Banned
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
what are symptoms of a bad or iac valve?.....and even then, only the cars idle would be effected right?

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Goose on crack.

·
Registered
294 Posts

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
any explanation why it does this? mine does it occasionally. so hard to replace on a 94/5!
I wish I could tell ya.I've never expieranced a bad IAC.Lucky me.

And the IAC is in a crazy spot on the 94-95 motors too.Good luck to you if you replace it.I would definitly help if I could but your not exacly in my area.lol

·
Banned
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
another question....it has been mentioned that there is a low voltage to the TPS and it can be tested....what supplies/monitors the voltage to the tps?...reason i ask is i replaced my tps and it seemed to only halfway fix the throttle problem (rpm's dropping with throttle application)...so where do i look next.....MAP sensor posibly?....and where is the map sensor on a 97 bird?

edit: ok, so ive been reading that our cars (4.6L) dont have a map sensor??

·
5,650 Posts
There is no MAP sensor on your car, only a MAF sensor. It can be easily located by looking at the large sensor immediately after the airbox.

The PCM both supplies and monitors voltage to the TPS. What do you mean that the problem was only "halfway fixed"? What is different now as opposed to earlier?

·
Banned
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well after installing the new tps all seemed to be good, but my car idle still drops upon throttle application now and then....someone mentioned somthing about voltage to the tps sensor....and that it may not be getting enough current?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts