TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my 3.8 (n/a) has oil seeping from the valve cover gasket, which means I lose oil, it burns on the headers, I have to add more, etc etc.

I changed out both gaskets 5 months ago and remember scraping clean both surfaces thoroughly before assembly with the new gasket.

Did I miss something? I have some black RTV i could use, but I wanted the input from you guys before applying it.

BTW it is a 1993 V6.

Thanks!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, unfortunately :(

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I've used rtv orange hi-temp gasket maker along with the gaskets. Black rtv may bond the covers too strong making future removal difficult.

Use the rtv sparingly. Allow it to vulcanize (dry) SOME before installing. Don't want pieces of rtv to squish out into the engine, and block oil return holes.

Place each cover on a flat surface, and try to determine if the cover(s) are bent, or twisted. It's also important to flatten the bolt holes on stock covers using two ball peen hammers before installation.

-Race

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds good man, and I have the rubber ones

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Yea it did.

I guess I'm more interested to know in what the differences between rubber and cork gaskets are. I imagine that cork is a sub-par material since it is a permeable material it wouldn't be as good as rubber, but that's just my guess.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
LOL!!!

I guess that also answers why the head gaskets on my (hand-me down car from my parents when I was in high school) old '84 cougar were always going bad. My dad would always replace the head gaskets with cork ones!!!

·
̇
3,701 Posts
LOL!!!

I guess that also answers why the head gaskets on my (hand-me down car from my parents when I was in high school) old '84 cougar were always going bad. My dad would always replace the head gaskets with cork ones!!!
[email protected] Head Gaskets

Thanks for the laugh.. :rofl:

Rayo..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts