TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the rubber ducting under the front bumper off of my car to get to the bottom radiator hose clip last week. Its the bit that goes between the two strut rod fixings, attaches around the stabiliser bar in one place, and also attaches to the rear edge of the front bumper with plastic rivets. It was a bit torn and not particularly well fixed in place, but could be used again.

Just wondered if the rest of you guys still have it fitted to your cars, or if you've taken it off??

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
I remember that darn thing falling down and dragging on my first bird ten years ago...took it off...took the same thing off my old 95 bird...amd that piece was long gone on my current bird by the time I got it...

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK Sounds like I don't need to worry about it "disrupting the airflow" or anything then. Glad to hear it!

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I changed my oil yesterday and decided that as the ducting was all in one piece and I still had all the fixings, I might as well refit it. When I had a closer look the metalwork around the radiator (that wasn't visible until I'd removed the ducting) I found that it was quite rusty or had flaky paint, so I gave it a rub down primered and painted it before putting everything back.

One thing I did think as that is seemed like the front valance should be attached to the flexible rubber duct under the radiator. It's all firmly fixed but it almost seems like there should be something linking the two pieces together?

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Forgot to ask last weekend, but while I had the front valance lower cover off, I noticed a spare lead coming out of the wiring loom with a two way connector on the end of it, next to the washer bottle pump loom. Its not the washer pump connector - thats already connected up. Just wondered what else it could be? Fog lights or something??

·
Registered
131 Posts
I would think that based on the placement you described, it would be for fogs, but I can't say I've seen a 'bird with factory fogs...

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought at first I'd pulled the wires off of the washer pump, but the connector clearly hadn't been fitted to anything for a long time, judging by the dirt in it. Also, the washers still work with it just tucked back under the valance as it was before.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,527 Posts
That's for the coolant level sensor for the 3.8 reservoir.

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Aha! That solves that then! Thanks.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Mine is still sitting in the garage. I've never gotten around to putting it back on after scraping off the retaining clips from hitting a dip too fast.

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Those retaining clips aren't the best invention in the world, but you may as well refit it, if its in one piece.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
It does make a difference; on my daily drive, the car runs cooler with it on. (interstate, 70+)

There's a slight trend in the gas mileage, but it's barely over 2 sigma; not much diff if any.

·
The Parts Guy
7,359 Posts
I've been running without that rubber flap on my XR7 since I put the car together back in '05. No issues here.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
I left mine off because with it on, oil changes can be kinda frustrating when it's digging into your forearm.

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It does make a difference; on my daily drive, the car runs cooler with it on. (interstate, 70+)

There's a slight trend in the gas mileage, but it's barely over 2 sigma; not much diff if any.
My car runs a lot cooler now that I've changed out the ancient water/antifreeze. I put a new thermostat in at the same tim (195F - same as the old one), and the gauge will sit at about 1/3 warm unless I hit a jam, when it then rises to 1/2 way. It always used to sit 1/2 way all the time.

Initially I thought that it was running cooler because I'd left the ducting off, however now that its back on, I can't say that I've noticed it making any difference. Obviously clean water = runs cooler.

Another thing I like about having the ducting on, is that it gives a liTtle protection to the power steering pipe that runs along the front under the radiator.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts