TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys just kinda wondering, right now i have a cai intake, 80mm mustang MAF, and a 92 tune by lonnie, think if i put in PI cams and intake along with some 3:73 gears i could be atleast possibly breaking into the 13's at least low low consistent 14's? or does it really just kind of depend? is it at least achievable with those mods or not at all?

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Here is what is needed for high 13s pi cams and maybe a pi intake I'd do both, also a 3500-3800 stall tc from dirtydog an some drag radials and lose the mac cold air kit cause it's smaller than your maf meter get and 03 mustang gt air intake tube, but I'll be honest do a tc and drag radials and u will gain .5-.7 in the 1/4 mile the othermode will give you hp to pull thru the top end
Robert

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Oh definetly get the gears for sure thought u aready had them

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
alright thanks for the input. helps alot. just wanted to make sure I was on the right track. I really did not know that my intake was restricting me. that's disappointing. not suprising though. that was my first mod back when I first got the car and really had no idea where to start with our cars lol as far as tc go i really don't fully understand them that's why they kinda fail to be input into my plans but I should obviously look into that...

·
Super Moderator
9,245 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol awesome. thanks man

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
ok am I right on understanding this? a higher stall such as what you said, 3800 basically is set higher to delay the loss of efficiency when entering the coupling phase? because in a 1/4 mile the longer you can prevent that loss of efficiency the better?

I read into it a more, since the stall would be set higher, in delaying that loss of efficiency it would work up to that point faster? so you'd kinda get a launch effect from a higher stalled tc... hmmm I def understand now... so a tc set at 3800 makes that big of a difference? why not go with like a 4200 (random higher number) or is that kinda like the 3:73 4:10 gears argument? jus kinda preference? because the higher the stall the more overheating you'll get with just average driving..?

sorry for this being so long. just looking for some confirmation that I understood what I read

·
Super Moderator
9,245 Posts
If you can launch at 3800 RPM, that is better than 2200 RPM for what should be obvious reasons.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok that's the delay then, off the line, it delays and launchs at 3800 instead of 2200. got it. wow didn't know it was set that low wow. I can see why it would make a big difference.

now I get y some guys go with those aluminum drive shafts. for the tc output

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
why not go with like a 4200 (random higher number) or is that kinda like the 3:73 4:10 gears argument? jus kinda preference? because the higher the stall the more overheating you'll get with just average driving..?
the overheating can be curbed with a proper tune and a large trans fluid cooler

as far as going with arbitrarily higher stall, not its not just about preference or like a 3.73 vs 4.10 argument......with gears, the shorter and shorter you go, the more acceleration increases, no matter how short you go on the gears (of course you are limited by your engine's mechanical redline in third gear, but that fact is aside for now)......but for torque converters, I'd say IMO that (tire traction aside) you would be limited by where your torque peak occurs AND whether or not your HP keeps climbing rapidly there after......so for a stock mn12 whose HP drops rapidly after the torque peak, it may not be as beneficial to go with a super high stall because the car will be launching at an RPM past the torque peak and the dropping HP wont keep the car accelerating as much......granted I dont have a high stall torque converter yet, but that is where my "gedankenexperiment" has led me to :)

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hahahah :uppoint:

and XR ya i was just kind of giving a reference with the gears but the peak torque does make perfect sense. so in your guys opinion what would be a good TC for my car (in the future.. PI cams/intake, cobra intake, 3:73's, along with what i have) from reading around and what other guys have maybe somewhere in the low 3****? like 3200? or does the peak torque thing really only apply in really high stall converters? and aside from that ours is 2200 right?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts