TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car went in to the shop Jan.29th to get a different engine swapped in.
My old engine had 189xxx miles and was making some load noises. Found out the pass. side timing chain was shot. Found a good used 1995 Cougar 4.6 engine with 67,xxx miles. When my old engine got hot on the stock temp gauge the needle was right on M and then the fan kicked on and it would cool down like normal.
Got my car back yesterday and drove it around for a couple of hours. When the engine got hot the needle is a 1/4 in. past the M before the fan kicks on. It cools down like normal but I'm just worried I guess.
Invested around $1,200 into this project and need some info from somebody to ease my mind.
Love these cars!
Nothing better than a ricer at a stop light or Highway cruz'n and he rev's up his engine just to be stomped by FORD POWER.

Thanks for anybody with some help

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Nothing better than a ricer at a stop light or Highway cruz'n and he rev's up his engine just to be stomped by FORD POWER.
first off, last thing you should be doing is romping on it if your engine really is overheating

in a stock computer, the low-speed fan is commanded to turn on at 210°F, and the high-speed fan is commanded to turn on at 220°F....you need either hook up a scanner to the odbII port to view if the low-speed fan is coming on when it is supposed to, or find some other way to check the coolant temp (perhaps with one of those infrared temp guns than you point-n-shoot)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
first off, last thing you should be doing is romping on it if your engine really is overheating

Man, I forgot to reply back to ya.
My car does not overheat.
It's the temp reading. It's much higher when the fan kicks on compared to before I had the new engine installed, but the needle is not in the overheating range.

"people ruin everything":zapyth:

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Did you at least replace the water pump on the new motor? That really isnt new with 67k miles. I'd replace it as maintance. Also get a new Tstat and make sure the dummy wire for the dummy gauge is tight on the sensor. Also I will add that when I did my motor swap I had the same problem. Was easily fixed with adding another ground. So it was clearly an electircal issue. But yeah get a temp gun and check it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
what about purging all the air out of the system ? criminy i had a time getting it outta mine ................ finally did and made a huge diff in it . and my fan doesn't kick on till like 210 or 220 so that seems to be normal . never has overheated even in extremely hot and humid conditions .

·
Registered
892 Posts
Simple question. Were the original sensors (all) installed with the new engine or were the sensors on the new engine installed into the old car?

Brad

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Simple question. Were the original sensors (all) installed with the new engine or were the sensors on the new engine installed into the old car?

Brad
The sensors on the new engine were installed into the old car. The engine was dropped in with all the sensors that were on the engine I bought.
Is their a different thermostat I can run to help with this problem or should I just replace with the OEM spec. part:zdunno:I have a water pump that is only 2 1/2 yaers old that I bought from autozone. It was on my old engine but I don't think I should replace the one on my engine now because that one works just fine.
Any input would be helpful.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
a different Tstat wont help because the fan is still being turned on at the same coolant temp as seen by the EEC...the problem could be the sensors on the replacement engine....who knows if they're any good? i'd start there...as well as a new stock temperature Tstat

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
a different Tstat wont help because the fan is still being turned on at the same coolant temp as seen by the EEC...the problem could be the sensors on the replacement engine....who knows if they're any good? i'd start there...as well as a new stock temperature Tstat
Thanks!:thumbsup:
I'm replacing those parts today.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts