TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever run dual 2.5" pipe to a x or h pipe then into 2 40 series mounted midbody, then out to the rear?

This is what I'm thinking of doing. This car is almost always driven with the windows down except during the coldest days- so some drone is acceptable, just not as much as I had with straight pipes. :D

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Mine (40's) are rear mounted and it is so loud that it may cause hearing damage. I suspect that I would have less drone without them on the car! Never again!

·
motor city poster
2,029 Posts
yea i have flowmaster 40's out back with a catless setup, and the flowmasters are going in the trash for Dynomax Race Bullets...:D should be louder outside, but less drone inside due to straight through mufflers

However..I imagine with the mid mounted mufflers, it will sound more like a mustang, and you will get a lot of exhaust noise inside the car like a mustang, but i would love to hear a mustang noise all day compaird to our cars.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts

i have ran a few diffent types of mufflers with the setup you see above I always liked the sound...offroad 2.5 with standard turbos

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I have 2.5 true duals H pipe catless setup with mid mounted super 40's. I love the way it sounds. Different strokes for different folks. Not sure if you will get the same sound as mine but I don't see why not.

This vid is with the H. I switched over to an X and like it better. Sounds cleaner and crisper.

http://media.putfile.com/AWDROCKS-H-Pipe-88

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm, well I suppose I can do it with the Flows and if it's too loud inside cut them out and try something else in their place.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
i have a stock configured 2.5 with magnaflows in the rear. its quite loud.....just ask preston, he knows when i drive by his house.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
hotbird said:
This car is almost always driven with the windows down except during the coldest days- so some drone is acceptable, just not as much as I had with straight pipes. :D
Stay away from Flowmaster, or Mac mufflers period if you're trying to minimize the drone resonating through the interior. It doesn't matter where you mount them, they're gonna drive you nuts! Sure they sound muscular, but the added noise that comes along with them is an unacceptable trade off as far as I’m concerned!

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Mod Motor Cat said:
Stay away from Flowmaster, or Mac mufflers period if you're trying to minimize the drone resonating through the interior. It doesn't matter where you mount them, they're gonna drive you nuts! Sure they sound muscular, but the added noise that comes along with them is an unacceptable trade off as far as I’m concerned!
I get a drone at cruising speeds. It could grow on you, it has on me. Not to pleasant when the folks are in the car :)

But I agree with Mod Motor Cat... I might change and try some Borlas. I had some Borlas before and it was a nice crisp quiet classy grunty sound.

·
Super Moderator
7,976 Posts
twin turbo 281 said:

i have ran a few diffent types of mufflers with the setup you see above I always liked the sound...offroad 2.5 with standard turbos

I take it you have a fuel cell in the trunk?

Without removing the gas tank, I don't think you would have enough room to mid-mount 2 flowmasters.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
yeah there would be no way to mount 2 mid mounted mufflers with the gas tank in place

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
guitar maestro said:
they could go before the gas tank, but they'd hang down, and you'd lose just a tad of ground clearance....there's some pics floatin' around
You'd better be routing out side pipes if you're going that far up the car. Otherwise you're gonna have one hell of a headache from the fumes with plain old turn downs. :thumbsd:

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have a mid mounted 40 series dual in dual out I hate it! sounds like the car did before it had true duals i would stay away from those, I'm going back to just cats for summer!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts