TCCoA Forums banner

Running two different mufflers...?

9K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Tbird1997 
#1 · (Edited)
So I am in the processes of getting my new dual exhaust together and I had a pair of magnaflows that I was supposed to get but turns out the guy sold them from under me so that was great.. :rolleyes:

(BTW I am looking for some good mufflers so if you have a decent set. mainly looking for magnaflow, slp loudmouths, bassani, dynomax ultraflows, 10 series flowmasters. but just let me know what you got -might take them.)

I have a friend that is getting rid of his mustang and he offered to give me the mufflers because he knows I am looking for some. But anyways he has two 3 chamber flowmaster super 40's but he hollowed one out?.. He said a lot of guys are starting to run two different mufflers or hollowing out one muffler to try and get a different sound out of it. I think it does sound pretty good and is nice and loud but I'm not sure. My main concern is if it will hurt the flow of the exhaust? Anyone knowledgeable in this?

#5 ·
Well, if you can get one side of the exhaust to slide in and out like a trombone, and add some skillful mutes with the rubber part of a toilet plunger, some pretty authentic "adults talking" from the Charlie Brown cartoons can be had. And it's only a trip to the hardware store away!
:rofl:

Ok, seriously. I did know of a person who ran two different length straight pipes on his Kamaro; one full length to the bumper and the other shortened to just before the rear axle. I think he actually took the time to try to "tune" them together, but I'm thinking that it was either by pure accident, or just trial and error....cut a little off, try it, cut a little more, try it..... I can say for sure that: A. it was loud, B. it droned badly in a much wider rpm range than before, and C. it was loud. There was no performance testing that I knew of to actually compare, but I would've set money on "Hurts Performance" because his SBC was not of the 2 stroke variety anyway.

Running two mufflers with one of them hollowed out doesn't sound like a great idea either.

#6 ·
I was just thinking about something similar...."what if you only had a muffler on one side of yout true dual exhaust"

Not that I would try that.

IMO he's trying to offload some crap. Why not just give the other muffler the same treatment? Or just go muffler-less. Been there, done that, might do it again, not sure. It has it's pros and cons.

but something different on either side just because "some people like that and think it's cool"

some people also think that positive/negative camber turned in wheels or 7 inch tires on 10 inch wheels stretched flat sidewalls is cool...doesn't mean any of that actually is cool...or a good idea....or safe for that matter.

Just be an old school hotrodder and do it right :cool:

#8 ·
Reminds me of a friend when I was in college. His vehicle was a Toyota 4x4 with the 22R 4 cylinder; the exhaust header went 4 into 2 into 1. He cut the pipes off at the two and ran dual exhaust. Sounded like a neat, original idea at the time, but it sounded like a lawn mower afterwards.

#9 ·
lol well i got a lot of opinions.. which is good, but does anyone that actually knows exhaust have anything to say about this performance wise? I doubt I will actually do it but something to think about.

Here's a video clip. I kinda like what it sounded like. This one is two different mufflers, he said that he liked the way the 10 series sounded but they were too loud so he threw on a 40 series on the other side. Go to 1:50 at the end where he revs it up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qktSsygjh60&feature=related

#11 ·
lol well yes I know that and different horsepower numbers I'm sure would also do the trick; the video was just for anyone that had never heard two different mufflers on one exhaust system, and I think most would say it still sounds pretty good. But might just be me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.