TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had to change out my intake manifold because it was cracked and leaking. After I got the new one in, the car started up just fine. After running for a few minutes, it started running kind of weird. Vibrating and making a weird noise. Obviously this stuff is hard to describe through text, so I shot a short video of it.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7saneSayeP8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7saneSayeP8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The main thing I noticed is it won't do it on a cold start, but once it's been running for a few minutes it will start doing this.

The Chewbacca sound isn't normal, and you can feel it too. Any ideas what this could be?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Hey neighbor, after my intake swap, same exact issue. My solution was removing and cleaning the IAC valve. I also ended up changing my plugs and wires. This was a year ago, been running great since. Just my .02

btw, you get your exhaust done locally?

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey neighbor, after my intake swap, same exact issue. My solution was removing and cleaning the IAC valve. I also ended up changing my plugs and wires. This was a year ago, been running great since. Just my .02

btw, you get your exhaust done locally?
I'll take a look at the IAC valve, thanks.

Yeah, I got it done at the exhaust shop across the street from the Gun Room.

I think it's either the plugs/wires or the MAF, unless you forgot some kind of vacuum line somewhere.
I checked over the vacuum lines a number of times, I really don't think I missed one. I'll clean the MAF, it's probably time anyway.

So perhaps I should change the plugs? It couldn't hurt anyway.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
that definitely sounds like a misfire to me......are you absolutely positive there is no coolant in the spark plug holes? perhaps a plug wire got messed up when you pulled them off....or maybe even got the wires crossed

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that definitely sounds like a misfire to me......are you absolutely positive there is no coolant in the cylinders? perhaps a plug wire got messed up when you pulled them off....or maybe even got the wires crossed

If a wire got crossed, wouldn't it be misfiring constantly? It doesn't do it on a cold start, it will only do it once the car gets warmed up a bit.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Wow, that sounds horrible....BTW do you plan on selling the car when you deploy? If so, let me know, I might be interested....As for the exhaust...I had mine done at the same place...the owner's name is Paul, he's super cool and does excellent work, I recommend him 100% :D

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, that sounds horrible....BTW do you plan on selling the car when you deploy? If so, let me know, I might be interested....As for the exhaust...I had mine done at the same place...the owner's name is Paul, he's super cool and does excellent work, I recommend him 100% :D
Yep, I was planning on selling it after I got this fixed (I'm shipping out very soon). I don't want to sell someone a car that isn't in good running order.

If you're interested, I'd love to keep it within the club. It's not some fantastic race car, but it's been a great car to me, so I'd like to have it go to someone who won't run it into the ground.

It needs some work, but with only 90 something thousand miles, it's got a lot of spunk.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Original plug wires too ?
Could be that one isnt seated all the way - sometimes when you take them off and re-connect them, you need to make sure they engage properly on the plug .. press them down a little more on the top to make sure they are good. Usually fixes the problem when I re-install plug wires on the 4.6 and it doesnt run quite right afterwards ..

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what does it need? might be in better shape than the one I have now....
Things that are broken or bad:
- Paint (peeling clear)
- Needs motor mounts
- Something is bad in the sunroof, I never bothered to find out. It has never leaked though
- Driver's seat won't recline or go forward. The electric part works, but the manual reclining handle doesn't do anything
- Warped rotors or something similar. The steering wheel vibrates a bit when braking.

That's what I can think of off the top of my head. There isn't anything else major though. I never fixed these things because I drive the car so little. I bought it in 2006 and have put about 6k miles on it I think.

It does have the updated intake manifold now with the aluminum crossover. A $700 set of excellent tires with about 6k easy miles on them. I changed the alternator when I got it, so about 6k miles on that too. As you saw in the video, I have the Magnaflow catback exhaust from the same guy you got yours at. The only other mod is a K&N cone filter that was on it when I got the car. I put it down in the fender and it's been just fine.

Clean title.

If you have any specific questions, I'll find out whatever you need.

Original plug wires too ?
Could be that one isnt seated all the way - sometimes when you take them off and re-connect them, you need to make sure they engage properly on the plug .. press them down a little more on the top to make sure they are good. Usually fixes the problem when I re-install plug wires on the 4.6 and it doesnt run quite right afterwards ..
I'm not sure if they are original wires, I'll check. I pushed on all of them, but I'll check again. The only thing that makes me think that it might not be that is that it will run normally until its been running for a few minutes, then it does this.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
something else...I have heard that really old wires get brittle from so many heat cycles...they're fine as long as they aren't moved....but as soon as they are touched/moved around they can crack....

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I am leaning towards wires and plugs. When you have a coolant leak water will get into the spark plug boot and mess things up. :cool:
X2 I have done this on customers cars a couple times during intake swaps, so I have taken to draining the coolant beforehand to reduce coolant spillage onto the outside of the head. Water will find its way down into the boots, especially on the back cylinders. I would pull the rear wires and if they are damp, blow them out with air and b-12. Get all the water out of the hole.
-Rob

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
My car did that when I replaced my intake. Ended up replacing the wires. Make sure you get some compressed air and blow out the coolant in the spark plug holes, cause it will ruin wires.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Good day,
Did you get this fixed? I am kinda interested in the fix for it... I will agree on the plugs and wires... If they are original, I wouldn't hesitate to swap them out, just for SAG's!! I'd also spin the motor a few revs with the starter with all the plugs out, just to make sure there isn't anything in the cylinders by way of spark plug removal... Don't count out a bad coil pack!!! They could work fine in the cold, but once they heat up a little, some circuit opens inside the pack and no more spark for whatever cylinder... You can verify spark with a timing light... No need to point it at the crank as you are just wanting to see the flashes, constant and steady... The wire that doesn't give you spark is obviously where you should start... swap the coil packs and see if the dead wire follows the coil pack... Yada yada yada...

Good luck!!
Cheers!!

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm guessing wires, my car has been doing the same exact thing since I changed my intake a week ago or so (obviously I haven't been running it). Runs fine until it warms up then misfire on cylinder #8. The wires are original so I’m going to replace them and also the plugs and hope that takes car of things(I may also swap the coils to see if one is the culprit). The problem for me is how to get the spark plug tubes totally dry of coolant, not such an easy task especially when its 20 degrees out. The compressed air gets the heavy stuff out but it still leaves plenty of residue (but using B12 chemtool sounds like it could work). Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
had the same problem after replacing the manifold. still had the original wires on after 110K miles. replaced the wires and it runs great now.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts