TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Jack of all trades, Master of none
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how good or bad this would be. My car currently has the stock exhaust, 2 cats, resonator and 2 mufflers. How would the performance/sound be if I cut off the mufflers and ran pipe the rest of the way out? Would the resonator keep the sound to a reasonable level? And would I notice any performance gains from this? I was thinking, since the mufflers are at the very back of the car, it would be easy to cut them out, make some long tips like the mustang GT's have, and then bolt the mufflers back in during inspections. Has anyone tried this? Would you recommend this or would it be a waste of time? I'm just looking for some little poor man's improvements. Thanks

·
Registered
744 Posts
i've heard a 95 4.6 bird with stock exhaust w/ cut off mufflers.

sounds quiet at idle, and sounds deep and 'grumbly' under trottle, not very loud though.

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Right now my '95 has no mufflers. I cut them off after it passed smog since I don't need it until 2 more yrs here in CA.

Anyway, sounds great, like mentioned, low at idle, but it opens up slightly like a mustang at open throttle. My gas seems the same, performance gain = 0 on my end. my .02

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
bobbylx said:
I was wondering how good or bad this would be. My car currently has the stock exhaust, 2 cats, resonator and 2 mufflers. How would the performance/sound be if I cut off the mufflers and ran pipe the rest of the way out? Would the resonator keep the sound to a reasonable level? And would I notice any performance gains from this? I was thinking, since the mufflers are at the very back of the car, it would be easy to cut them out, make some long tips like the mustang GT's have, and then bolt the mufflers back in during inspections. Has anyone tried this? Would you recommend this or would it be a waste of time? I'm just looking for some little poor man's improvements. Thanks
If you're talking about the "two into one" "resonator, that is actually a third cat. :beek:

I have no mufflers on my 95 Cougar, just some "resonator tips" and I love the way it sounds. Not too loud and it doesn't resonate like the Flowmasters on my 94. But this is my to/from work car now, so I don't really want to go to wild. :thumbsup:

·
Jack of all trades, Master of none
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, yeah I meant the third cat thingy. Anyway, sounds like I may go ahead and do this. Just got inspected Saturday so I don't need to worry about it again for a year.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I dont know about the other guys on here but when i had my 94 coug i cut the stock mufflers off. its sounds good at idle and moderate throttle but when you take off to get on the highway put your ear plugs on because it sounded like a bunch on bees chasing me. I hated it so i went quiet again with the dynomax kit.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I've also heard it sounds like *** with no mufflers.

On my 95 Lx I replaced the resonator with a pipe, into the factory Y, then to a pair of Magnaflows in place of the stock mufflers.

Idle only slightly louder with a deeper tone.
Light acceleration, deep resonating tone.
Fully throttle, quiet and unmuffled.

Not to pleased with the audible results and it doesn't feel any faster but it did run a 15.5-15.8 @ 88 mph.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I've cut off mine, was going to replace them with the GP Borla's but they didn't fit
the wayt I wanted so I'm putting them in when I can afford a whole system..

I like the sound.. At idle it's no big difference..
There a slight grumble and it's really low 'til you get up to
1450 rpms.. Then it's like opening a door..
The low hz starts to resonate or something 'cause it's almost
like the ears pop when you fly..
Then after 1650 rpms it's completely silent again..

Of course I've got the 5.0 so there might be a difference..

But I'd do it over anyday..

//Per

1 - 8 of 8 Posts