TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
5w30 Guzzler
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yesterday i was cleaning my MAF when i had to move my car. it was disconnected and the MAF element was nowhere near the car. i hopped in and it started up fine but with a slightly higher than normal idle. i reversed out of my driveway with no stumbles or fumbles then i took off down the road hitting the car softly, then hard (not WOT). the car ran just fine. i can always smell a burning oil/gasoline oder, but this time it was a little different. i was under the impression that the car would run like crap without the MAF in. any ideas? or was i just wrong?
also, the first time a while ago that i tried to start my car with the MAF unplugged, it threw a code. but it didnt this time.

·
Registered
236 Posts
the computer probably just compensated for the missing MAF sensor for the moment. If you would have gone further it would have trip an check engine light and your gas mileage would have gone wacky.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
without the maf attached it reverts to a speed density table it will eventually throw a light but it can be a good trouble shooting step if you suspect your maf has gone south

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
dont quote me...

but i do beleive that when the car is cold with the MAF plugged in or not....it runs in closed loop. When the motor warms up, it switches to open loop cycle and uses the MAF wires to read functions. I did this once, instructing my friend how to clean the MAF wire, i forgot to plug the harness back in, went blasting down the road, pulled into a shopping sensor and threw a code, not to mention to car down flat didnt move.

joseph

1 - 5 of 5 Posts