TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'll be sure to get pics up later, but when i was in my trunk installing my new sub... i came upon a horrific sight. i need to know what my plan of action should be. when i was routing the wires, i pulled back the carpet on the drivers side, and to my disgust, i discovered quite an amount of RUST around the shock tower mount on the fender well.. i fear it may be rusted through, and it doesnt feel very safe to me. this seems serious enough, what do you guys think?:(

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I have a little bit...not much

From what I've heard, it's pretty common on the MN12s

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah. but i hate to drop that kind of money into fixing a car with so many miles. but i've already put about 3k into it already. i paid 1500 for it. so... is there any way to fix that? i'm just afraid of it getting weak on me when i take it out racing, and pushing a shock through the fender well. that wouldnt be any good at all.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
If you know anybody that can weld cut the rust piece out and weld in a new section. That's my advice. After welded paint it to help prevent it from coming back.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah. i know a couple metal worker guys. i was thinking about having the seat switch panels fabbed out of steel... so the damn plastic ones would quit breaking. just ahve to find a set to get measurements from. i think they would look really good painted.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
problem is... the spot thats rusting is taking the load from the shocks....its around where it comes through the body.. not just next to it. wouldnt welding make it weaker?

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Not if its welded right. A good weld is stronger than the steel its holding together.

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
Is there any give to it? If it's still structurally sound, then I'd suggest pulling your carpet and all that junk out, prep it good, then POR15 the hell out of the trunk.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah.. whats por15? lol its still pretty rigid. maybe the bird isnt hopeless.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
POR 15 good stuff I used it on the bottom of my pass door on the inside and it hasn't rusted anymore. 2 years ago. If I remember right if the rust is still on the surface and not all the way threw then you can use it.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
hey $17 plus shipping for a started kit aint too bad!!!

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
If she was a v8, I'd say try and save her, but for the wussy v6... let her go. Time to look for a new Bird from Arizona!

-Joel

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Cut, grind, weld, and sell! Rust is like an iceberg, you only see 10% of it. Better to get rid of it now when the rust isn't extremely noticeable.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
If you've got a good front clip, I know where there's a 97 LE......

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
With frame damage? :D

-Joel

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Honestly, I couldn't say if it had frame damage or not. It does have some seriously bent front sheetmetal...

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
Well, sheetmetal is a long cry from frame damage. Hood/fenders/bumper cover is an easy fix. I'll take a look at her in may, maybe she can fly again one day. Didn't Rod just sell a red one of yours a while back? What happened there? You seem to like to wreck birds and sell em off to be rebuilt...;)

Back on subject... Sin, your best bet if you wanna keep a 'Bird around for a while is to get a new one, or be willing to throw a buncha money at it. I look at mine this way (rust problems as well)... either pay to have your Bird fixed to normal... or pay to have another good Bird, modded.

-Joel

·
The Parts Guy
7,647 Posts
GODSPEED said:
Didn't Rod just sell a red one of yours a while back?
Yep. Repaired it and sold it last August.

-Rod

1 - 20 of 27 Posts