TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just flipping through the Princess Auto flyer and saw this product by Permatex called Rust Dissolver. Says its a brush on gel. Anybody know about this stuff? Ive been losing the battle with the surface rust on the Cougar. Grind it off, seal and paint but it only lasted for 3 weeks tops till it came back (almost looks "wet" :confused: ). Maybe this stuff could help in the spring when I go at it again?

·
Registered
708 Posts
well from my experience, if you grind it off, seal it and paint it, it will not come back. so you may not have got it all off, or you may not have sealed it quick enough or correctly. and may not have replaced the factory corrosion protection.

I used a rust convertor once(forgot the brand). it was supposed to turn your rust to a black "primer". didnt work. you might try a cut and replace method.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Blue, now is not the time to be mending the body unless you are 100% you cleaned off all the salt, sand and all other winter road debris. Then you can strip the piant, grind the area plus about an extra 1-2 inches to bare metal, clean, prime, seal, paint.

Now yes those rust dissolvers do work but you can not control them once applied.

Think of them (becuase they are) as a Chemical dip v. Media Blasting. One is controlable the other is well you are left with what ever is left.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh no I wouldnt even think about touching the body till spring, just this places inventory changes constantly, so if I was gonna buy a can I want to get it soon.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Personally I would not use it on panels but mabye hardware. If the chemicals ruin some hardware no big deal, but body panels are a bit more expensive and their repair should be left more on the art side and less on the science.

·
Registered
62 Posts
make sure it's down to bare metal, clean, self etching primer. primer sealer, paint.
not sure what kind of spray-can garbage you're using, but throw it out.

rust disolvers are only good for deep rust where you quickly want to find out if there is any metal left underneath that may or may not be salvagable. shouldn't need it for surface rust.

·
Registered
272 Posts
look in to POR-15. they have a hole kit and it works. my brother has used it on his 4runner he had rust under his wheel flairs. he used POR-15 4 years ago mind you and every few months he takes the flairs off and still has not came back. this truck will see mud (off roads alot) salt (the truck is his daily in ILL), and everything else you can think of.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Never seen that stuff up here, but since Im goin south next week Ill look into it. Mud, salt, sounds like what my Cougar sees. If I can stop that rust on the rockers and lower doors Ill be happy.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
But the best is being in the South :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts