TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I have a rust issue concerning a 1998 Mitsubishi eclipse that recently had a trunk leak. This leak caused rust that had been eating away the welds of a large brace that holds the spare tire up. This brace is not structural and is very thin and welded in place. I've already fixed the leak.
I know that these forums are reserved for MN12 cars only, but the forum dedicated to that car are not that great. I don't feel their members give as useful information as here, and my account's having some login issues. Plus, I've heard some outstanding information or stories about rust repair, restoration, body tech etc. The community here is very friendly and helpful with answering questions. It would be appreciated if anyone could guide me with the rust repair.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,476 Posts
That really isn't bad, looks like mostly surface rust. I would hit it with a wire brush, then POR15, and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have some POR15, but since it's pretty toxic stuff I'm not sure I want to use it in the trunk well. I'm worried that the fumes will build up in the car, otherwise I'd have to leave hatch open and I don't have a garage. It would just be open the whole time in my neighborhood parking lot.
Could I use some rust converter spray or something similar, that would produce less fumes?

·
Super Moderator
16,743 Posts
Any sort of spray paint would be even worse when it comes to fumes. If it's an issue you'd be well off just wire brushing it and wetting the cleaned up bare metal with oil time to time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts