TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
BAH!! Please help.

I've been having problems with my 95 T-Bird for a while now. Basically, the car was dieing on me during low speeds, so I figured I'd clean the K&N filter, reset the computer, little stuff like that. So after I did all that the car ran like crap, barely ran at all. So I figured I'd gotten oil on the wires from the filter. So anyways I just now pulled out my 90mm LMAF, and the back two posts that hold the wire in look like they've started to rust. I've sprayed them with electric parts cleaner and used some Q tips to try and clean them, and while it looks like a little oil has come off(very little) I swear the back two posts have rusted.

These are some highlights of a post I made a few months back:

If my car is running really bad(idle all over the place, wanting to die, bogging down etc etc) and I unplug the MAF sensor(with the chip still in) and the car runs worse, is my MAF sensor bad? It's a 90mm LMAF and Jerry II chip.
Nothing really, it just started happening and then got worse, to the point of almost not being able to drive the car. The other thing I'm wondering about is my Jerry II chip, maybe its bad. When I installed the chip I never put the computer back, I left it sitting at the top floor board. With the MAF unplugged and the chip in, the car runs worse. With the chip out, the car runs better, sluggish but better. 30 seconds after I plug the chip back in the idle goes crazy and the rpms jump up, then down etc etc and the CEL goes on and off a few times every couple of minutes.
Actually, thinking back. When the car really got bad was right after I cleaned the K&N filter and reset the computer. I let the car sit for a few days once I realized it got worse. I then took it to the shop and he said alot of my connections around my MAF sensor were loose. He tightened them up and the car ran fine for a day and a half. Then thats when things got worse. The only codes it's throwing are with the 02 sensors, saying their running wide open, running rich I guess. However if the Jerry II chip has gone bad, I don't know if the computer would even throw a code or not.
When I was working on it before I never paid attention, or didn't notice the rust look the back posts have now, so I don't know if its a new thing or not. I'm getting ready to put the MAF back in and plug the battery back up and let her run for a bit. If this doesn't work, I'm really considering ordering a new 90mm LMAF and the proper harness. For some reason I've got it in my mind that my problems are coming from either the MAF or the Jerry II chip.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, so heres the update. I plugged the MAF back in, put the chip back in, connected the battery and started her up. I let her sit for about 10 minutes while I played with the radio, and the car was very responsive, nice deep tone. So I figured I'd take it out and see what happened. I get on a strait stretch and floor it, kicks down, get up to about 70, nice. Go to do it again, only this time theres some lag. When the car kicks down and revs up all of a sudden the check engine light comes on and and when I give the car gas, I suddenly feel I've got very little forward motion. More then just a little pressure on the gas pedal and it bogs down real bad and back fires some.. The whole time though the car wont shift out of gear, yet it's like no power is getting to the ground either. So pull in a parking lot, put it in park and give it a little gas, same stuff happens. I shut the car off, turn it back on, and the CEL is off and the car seems to be driving ok again. I didn't give it much gas though as I wanted to get home since it is cold out and getting dark. When I pull our parking lot and park, I notice the CEL has come on again and will bog down when given gas. Please please help me.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Id do some basic tune-up stuff if you haven’t already like gas filter, plug wires, check/replace sparkplugs etc. Also check your sparkplugs color and see if there are variations like one is really wet or one is bright white and burnt up.

Could be a clogged Catalytic converter, just throwing out ideas.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
maybe a vaccuum leak... or the pcv valve is dirty? that should be changed if youre doing a tune up too. check the fuel filter, pump.. stuff liek that.

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
3,166 Posts
my car had a chronic issue where it would bog down horribly at WOT. I cleaned the MAF and it was pretty dirty, and not it runs better than it has in 3 years. IF your MAF is rusty, maybe its just time for a new one.
Have you tried reading the CEL code yet?

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
BAH!! Please Help. ?

You're car is trying to "help" by giving you a CLUE - it's called the Check Engine Light. When the light comes on, it means that a code has been tripped. If you get the code(s) scanned - it might tell you what is wrong with it. Isn't that simpler than having it diagnosed over the internet?

EDIT: I see from a previous post that at one point you had the codes scanned. SInce the light came on again - I recommend that you get the codes scanned again, and this time - get the actual code number(s) and post them here.

Next:

If you decide not to get the codes scanned

Based on what you've posted so far - here is what I would do.

1. Throw out the K & N filter. Replace with a stock paper filter.

2. If the plug wires have 50,000 miles or more on them - replace them with Ford stock wires.

3. If the plugs have more than 35,000 - 40,000 miles on them - replace them with either Motorcraft or Autolite copper or standard platinum plugs

4. If neither items 2 or 3 fix the problem, then replace the MAF sensor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts