TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hello everyone,

Recently while checking out my 1998 Eclipse, I came across some unfortunate signs of rust on the rear right rocker panel, right on the lip of the wheel well in front of the tire.

I'm not entirely sure if it's just surface rust or if the rocker is destroyed. I plan to check it again and sand it a bit to see if it's just surface rust. The other 3 rockers are fine (from what I can see).

In Maryland the roads aren't salted that much in the winter. My other cars, which are daily drivers and non garaged, have nothing more then surface rust on the underbodies.

I see what appears to be drain holes - is this the place where road spray gets in? I suspect the lip started to rust when I found a small salt rock jammed in between a weld.

The car is in really good shape, under 80,000 miles, paint is still beautiful and in excellent condition, engine runs well, and the interior is mint. Is the only remedy to cut out and reweld? I don't have the know-how or tools to do it. Do I have any options? Could I spray some cavity wax in there to at least slow it down?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm having some trouble uploading the photos. When I drag them into the drag and drop area under the text box, it loads it, then it disappears.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Its cancer the only way to get rid of it is to cut it out. I suspect its Mitsu's lower quality levels for the cause.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts