TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. has anyone ever used those after market rust repair quarter panels they have?

I'm thinking of getting at least one, maybe both for my 95 t bird. But they are a little over $100. and shipping is another $112. Was just wondering how they fit. It would save me a lot of time over making my own. I already have the lower door skins and rockers from sherman. Thanks .

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
That's a lot of rust repair and there is probably more hiding. Does the car have sentimental value? The general agreement here is that it's easier and cheaper to buy a rust free car than to repair rust. These cars just don't have the value.

-Bryan

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kind of. We have had that car since brand new. Got both kids thru College. V8, runs great, only has 110,000 miles. took very good care of it.

Actually, yesterday I picked up 2 1997 t-bird VERY clean doors, a very clean fender, all the wide side moldings from pick a part for 150.00, a steel if you could see how clean these part are. Im an ex-bodyman so will be doing most myself, I may take it to be painted, I haven't decided if im going to paint it myself or not.

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
Being in the UK, I'm not 100% sure which section you refer to as the quarter panels. Rear wings? I just had the rear section of the rockers repaired on mine, and the guy that did it let a little section in that e made himself, as it wasn't too big.

Gotta fix 'em up, in my opinion. Good luck :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The quarter panel is the rear panel of the car. The rust is at the bottom about 6 inches up the panel. The rocker is also rusted out below it to. I have the rockers already.

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
Ah ok, same as over here. The but directly behind the rear wheels. When I had my rockers done, I painted te repaired sections myself (as they were only about 12" long), I had an aerosol mixed from the paint code by a paint company, and the match was absolutely spot-on. You'd never have known anything had been done.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I am still evaluating, but I 90% sure I will be fixing my rockers this Spring. I know it may not be perfect, but it will be solid and be better than what is there now.

The other option is to find a southern car, but after I added up all the suspension work, transmission, interior, brakes, front end, rear end, driveshafts and a million other things, I couldn't make all that work cheaper than just fixing what I have. My car is pretty much new mechanically.

Sure, I wouldn't mind a 1996 so I can put the PI stuff on there, but after buying a $2000 or so car and transplanting everything, it would cost more than my estimate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts