TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I know that this has been beat to death, but I just want to know if any one has used Naval Jelly? I am stationed overseas and while I am between deployments, I was hoping to get to the garage and fix the rust problem that all freakin tbirds have in front of the rear tires. I was wanting to use Naval Jelly to use after I grind all the rust away as a back up in case I missed some.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Thats just a winter road salt thing, none of the MN12's I see on the road around south florida have rusted out quarters...

My 89' came down from michigan early on in it's life and the last time I saw it, it was 15 years old and the only serious rust taking hold was up at the firewall/cowl and the sheetmetal seams in the front door hinge areas. The underbody was still amazing clean.

My 97 Philadelphia area delivery Cougar spent the first 1~2 years in Penna and it has more seam and underbody rust (still very minor) then the 89 that was nearly twice it's age...

Can't help with the navel jelly or if theres something better to do...

Anyway rusted out quarters are the bane of all cars subjected to winter road salt spray, it's not like it's an MN12 specific problem.

It should be illegal to use road salt for ice control. The financial damage done is huge but hey it's cheap for the government so screw everyone else. The rust problem seems to be much less severe in winter areas that use alternatives to road salt.

·
Registered
955 Posts
actually ive used it on my 94, it works pretty good!!! but the most crucial factor is that after you let it sit for 15-20 min on the rust is to rinse it off with water, otherwise you will have a pink residue. found this out the hard way in my enginebay with my pearlesent paint....but it works good!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts