TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I need some ideas. I have a 10mm bolt that is rusted (thank you Illinois winters) on the back of the motor. Its for the trans dipstick. I need a good way to get this thing out, because its rounded off.

Anybody have any good ideas? I dont really want to try to fight it with vice grips and a hammer, but I will if I have to.

Thanks,

Jamie

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, thats what I am thinking too, but I cant really go the heat route right now due to my work area (semi confined and chemicals).

Guess I will soak it in pb blaster, cant hurt anything.

·
Super Moderator
10,577 Posts
I'm pretty sure that hole goes thru the casting; hit the back side as well. You should be able to feel it, even if you can't see it.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, it does, but its not in a great spot. I will give her a try tomorrow after work.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Check out Sears. They have a socket that is made like a internal easy out that works on rounded bolt heads. Never needed one but several people said it works. It looks like it will to me.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I might have to. this is the bolt for the trans dipstick. If I cant get it out, I am going to have to get creative when I put the new trans and new dipstick tube back in the car, hopefully this week.

I need to go to sears anyway, I already broke 2 u joints on this project.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
The sockets form Sears work wonders, I have a complete set and they work wonders--once you get it on the bolt head. Will need to beat it on.

The other option is to pull the engine and tranny as a unit.

There is always getting a PCC student to do it for you :) LOL

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Check out Sears. They have a socket that is made like a internal easy out that works on rounded bolt heads. Never needed one but several people said it works. It looks like it will to me.
I have a set from the MAC dealer and they work great.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The sockets form Sears work wonders, I have a complete set and they work wonders--once you get it on the bolt head. Will need to beat it on.

The other option is to pull the engine and tranny as a unit.

There is always getting a PCC student to do it for you :) LOL
Nope, trans is already out. waiting on a new dipstick tube to put it all back together.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts