TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rebuilt the front end on my mark (everything except the rack) and I have still have a popping noise (front left) and a wiggle in my steering at 55 mph. The rack has a rebuilt sticker on it and I think it's a cardone. Also the motor seems to shift to much under a load (drivers side motor mount). Was thinking about dropping the k-member to do all this at once. I've read the posts on here and think I can handle it just wanted a little advice.
How heavy is this thing? can two floor jacks handle it? One? Thought of doing the oil pan gasket while I was down there (no leaks just preventative maintenance ) what else should I consider while I'm at it?
Also saw in one post where it's recommended on the Mark viii that I remove the oil dipstick before I drop it. Any help appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
3,594 Posts
I rebuilt the front end on my mark (everything except the rack) and I have still have a popping noise (front left) and a wiggle in my steering at 55 mph. The rack has a rebuilt sticker on it and I think it's a cardone. Also the motor seems to shift to much under a load (drivers side motor mount). Was thinking about dropping the k-member to do all this at once. I've read the posts on here and think I can handle it just wanted a little advice.
How heavy is this thing? can two floor jacks handle it? One? Thought of doing the oil pan gasket while I was down there (no leaks just preventative maintenance ) what else should I consider while I'm at it?
Also saw in one post where it's recommended on the Mark viii that I remove the oil dipstick before I drop it. Any help appreciated.
First things first; you need an engine support or cherry picker to support the engine when you remove the K member.

So, it's a total of 8 bolts in size E18 (inverse torx) to detach it from the frame rails. I had to remove the front shocks/springs and the upper control arms (I was replacing them anyway) to get it disconnected. I used a 3 ton floor jack to lower it and I am able to pick it up and carry it with the LCAs and spindles still attached. I'm a bigger guy so your mileage may vary.

It turns out that its pretty easy. If you're considering a new sway bar then this is the time to do it as well. If you are ever considering doing something different with your oil pan then modifying the K member is needed usually too.

I have a thread about the work I started this fall. I plan to start putting things back together tomorrow.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First things first; you need an engine support or cherry picker to support the engine when you remove the K member.

So, it's a total of 8 bolts in size E18 (inverse torx) to detach it from the frame rails. I had to remove the front shocks/springs and the upper control arms (I was replacing them anyway) to get it disconnected. I used a 3 ton floor jack to lower it and I am able to pick it up and carry it with the LCAs and spindles still attached. I'm a bigger guy so your mileage may vary.

It turns out that its pretty easy. If you're considering a new sway bar then this is the time to do it as well. If you are ever considering doing something different with your oil pan then modifying the K member is needed usually too.

I have a thread about the work I started this fall. I plan to start putting things back together tomorrow.

Yeah I read your post and I didn't think about the sway bars will do that while I'm in there. I also did an advanced search and found the weight isn't as much of an issue as I thought it would be. thanks for the help and good luck on your install.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts