TCCoA Forums banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,569 Posts
For those of you who inserted the Bilsteins without first trimming them down, what sort of press was used to press them in?
I think it really depends on the donor shock and not the Bilstein shock. In my case I had to press one in and the other slid in with no problem. Even the one I pressed probably would have slid right in if I had cleaned up the top. YMMV

·
Super Moderator
10,375 Posts
My koni inserts went right in a set of gabriels.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I think it really depends on the donor shock and not the Bilstein shock. In my case I had to press one in and the other slid in with no problem. Even the one I pressed probably would have slid right in if I had cleaned up the top. YMMV
Agreed; theres no spec so it all depends on the donor shocks.

Mine were two blown monroes Sensatracs that were too tight. I also (for giggles) cut up two blown SC shocks and found them to be too tight as well w/o resorting to use a hydraulic press.

At some point, I realized that a press wasn't the best idea if I ever decided I wanted/needed to rebuild the shocks.
Hence, the lathe.

-g

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I'll try it first and see if they just drop in. The two spares I have I believe are different makes that I pulled from the JY car. Both of them have minor differences that make me believe as such. Guess I'll find out what I need to do when I get there. Hell, because of my OCD, I may want to use the ones on my car instead of the ones I pulled because I know those are identical to each other, lol.

·
Registered
2 Posts
8610-1437 Race

I was inspired by your thread and decided to use the Koni 8610-1437 Race insert. I had a set of KYB shocks, these measured 2.025" o.d., so I knew that even if they were 1/8 wall thickness that the Koni's would fit without interference. It also occurred to me that at 2" the housing could be threaded the way some of the foreign cars are. The machine shop I used could not thread the housing, but instead made me threaded sections with caps that i could weld in. The upper mounts i used a hole saw leaving 1" of rubber and making the corresponding 9/16 i.d. spacer and washer insert. This is on a street car and with an old set of ST springs and rides perfect on almost full soft

Attachments

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I was inspired by your thread and decided to use the Koni 8610-1437 Race insert. I had a set of KYB shocks, these measured 2.025" o.d., so I knew that even if they were 1/8 wall thickness that the Koni's would fit without interference. It also occurred to me that at 2" the housing could be threaded the way some of the foreign cars are. The machine shop I used could not thread the housing, but instead made me threaded sections with caps that i could weld in. The upper mounts i used a hole saw leaving 1" of rubber and making the corresponding 9/16 i.d. spacer and washer insert. This is on a street car and with an old set of ST springs and rides perfect on almost full soft
That's a really good idea: threaded sections you can weld on with caps to sandwich on the mini inserts.

Great job!
-g

·
Super Moderator
10,375 Posts
I've always wanted the double adjustable version; this looks really good to me. :)

·
Administrator
8,005 Posts
Great job jimmyman! :thumbsup:

It's great that you found a way to make things work. I'm sure people will be placing orders soon! :tongue:

Joe

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
This is amazing!

My question with the KONI units you used; how do they secure to the bottom of the shock body? Is there a nut or a bolt that goes there?

·
Super Moderator
10,375 Posts
They don't.

They are secured by the welded on collar with the threads at the top of the shock body.
A mating nut holds it all together, as shown in the photos.

That's why I mentioned the dual adjustable ones; the second adjustment is at the bottom.

Look closely at post 46.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
They don't.

They are secured by the welded on collar with the threads at the top of the shock body.
A mating nut holds it all together, as shown in the photos.

That's why I mentioned the dual adjustable ones; the second adjustment is at the bottom.

Look closely at post 46.
The threaded caps and the custom machined sections welded to the tube secure the whole thing
I saw the threaded caps part, I just wasn't sure if there was more to it than the custom made cap which is why I asked. I never saw an an actual product picture from any vendor or anything, so I didn't know if there was anything at the bottom of it that secured it to the shock body that way.

·
Super Moderator
10,375 Posts
That threaded cap has to be WAY stronger than the 10mm bolt that holds my stock konis together, lol.

I worry at times, when performing the general lee maneuver. :)

There's this one spot, that if you're going too fast... >:)

·
Registered
87 Posts
This is a great idea and looks good too. The difference between this install and the Bilstein inserts is really reliant on your ability or access to a shop. Kudos on the nice setup!

·
Super Moderator
3,569 Posts
This is a great idea and looks good too. The difference between this install and the Bilstein inserts is really reliable on your ability or access to a shop. Kudos on the nice setup!
Actually, a machine shop might not be required to make this work. Let me do some research. I just need some time.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts