Votes: 6 12.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a discussion in the chat room this evening, I wanted to see what everyone else thought.

I believe the metric system is far easier to learn and understand, hence a better system. Take sockets for example:

Your workin on your car. You have a helper with you. You've come across a bolt that is larger than 3/8" but smaller than 9/16" (the 2 sockets you have at hand at the moment). How long does it take you to figure out what socket to ask your helper to get you? For those of you who have no mechanical/mathematical knowledge, the answer is 1/2" and 7/16".

Now, if you were working on a car that used metric fasteners, how long would it take you to think of what sockets you need to ask for if a 10mm and a 15mm socket won't fit? SO MUCH EASIER!... again, for those of you who need a hammer to the noggin, the answer is 14mm, 13mm, 12mm and 11mm.

Another example:

You are working on building a deck on your house (if you have one/will ever have one). You need to find the center of the board. The length is 78 3/4". What's the center? Again, answer is 39 3/8".

Now, same board is 200cm long. What's the center? 100cm... see how simple that was?

Now, open for discussion, but please keep the political crap out of this. Place your vote for what's the better system.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Don't get me wrong I use and understand the sae system,but measurement makes more sense. It's like this if a 3/8 wrench won't fit and you aren't real familiar with it you have to think a little to figure out that a 7/16 is the next. Metric is easier if the 12mm won't fit grab the 13.
Alan

·
Super Moderator
7,527 Posts
It's just a matter of how you are taught to think. Metric is easier for you and most people because it is base 10. SAE is fractions for sockets and base 12 for measurements. It is no more complicated, just something that is not as commonly used so if you aren't used to it, it will seem more complicated. Another example of this is time. We measure time in base 60, and no one has any problems with this. So if 10 is ok, and 60 is ok, what's wrong with 12? This kind of reminds me of something I saw once, don't remember where, maybe a shirt or something. It said "There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who can read binary, and those who can't"

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
dirtyd0g said:
....12mm won't fit grab the 13.
Alan
We do know that any self respecting wrench turners (like ourselves) would NEVER have made the mistake
of reaching for a 12mm wrench when our exquisitely honed mechanic sense would have told us that the bolt
we were working with was the 13mm to start with. :rofl:

·
Super Moderator
7,527 Posts
tbirdbrain said:
We do know that any self respecting wrench turners (like ourselves) would NEVER have made the mistake
of reaching for a 12mm wrench when our exquisitely honed mechanic sense would have told us that the bolt
we were working with was the 13mm to start with. :rofl:
It's funny cause it's true!

Mike

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
I personally prefer Metric. It really pisses me off when im workin on my cutlass, GM decided to combine metric and sae bolts in the car. I always have to have both socket sets out it really frustrates me:redmad:

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
MadMikeyL said:
.....It said "There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who can read binary, and those who can't"

Mike
That would be "There are two kinds of people in the world; those who can read binary, and those who can't." Binary is a Base 2 system.

warmaster259 said:
I personally prefer Metric. It really pisses me off when im workin on my cutlass, GM decided to combine metric and sae bolts in the car. I always have to have both socket sets out it really frustrates me
Now that DOES piss me off!

I prefer the metric system, but then I do remember when it really ticked me off! (I'm old and had to learn measurements all over again after learning the SAE (or "english) system. Metrics do make more sense when you think of it. I mean, what is an inch? its how wide some kings thumb was (I think). Same with the foot, the yard, etc. Just how far some king happened to say it was. And I haven't even got a clue as to what a hectare is, or how it got started!

The Metric system is just easier. It isn't hard until you try to convert one to the other. Thats the main reason most old folks don't like it.

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Traveler said:
It isn't hard until you try to convert one to the other. Thats the main reason most old folks don't like it.
it's pretty easy to convert...

1 inch = 25.4 millimeters or 2.54 centimeters or .0254 meters

·
Super Moderator
7,527 Posts
Traveler said:
That would be "There are two kinds of people in the world; those who can read binary, and those who can't." Binary is a Base 2 system.
Obviously you can't read binary, or at least don't think of it naturally.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
LOL Yea, I can read it. I just haven't done it in a LONG time so I'm "rusty".

I didn't think that looked right even as I wrote it!

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Speaking from the perspective of someone who uses these units everyday in calculations, the metric system is easier to use, period. I still prefer the American system only because it's the "norm", but when you are messing around with pressures and stresses and energy and volume, well basically anything, the metric system is easier to use.

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
Palmguy said:
Speaking from the perspective of someone who uses these units everyday in calculations, the metric system is easier to use, period. I still prefer the American system only because it's the "norm", but when you are messing around with pressures and stresses and energy and volume, well basically anything, the metric system is easier to use.
:zwthstpd:

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
i've been swinging wrenches for a long time already, they are both the same to me i have no preference to either, if it is a later model vehicle chances are real good it's gonna be metric, in most cases i can tell what size the nut or bolt is by looking at it or feeling it if it is in a hard to get at location very accurately, you just get used to it after a while.

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Neither, cause the ONE size I need is always missing... but I voted metric

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Voted metric... of course...
Since that's the only system I've every used... :D

And belive me... If I come across a SAE bolt it takes me
forever to try all different socket sizes...
Oh... And then I throw that [email protected] bolt very... VERY far
:D

//Per

·
Registered
12 Posts
Granted, with the exception of the US, the metric system is used by the entire world. But in my line of work - aerospace components, GE, Pratt & Whitney and Honeywell still adhere to the SAE standards. I realize that the basis of the metric system is more scientific - a meter is the distance traveled by light in a vacuum in 1/299,792,458 of a second, as opposed to the inch system where 3 barleycorns laid end to end is the standard.
Imagine if we went back to cubits... :D

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I voted for the metric system...

For me it just makes sense since everything in the metric system is based on "10". :D

10 mm = 1 cm
10 cm = 1 dm
10 dm = 1 m

How many ym’s does it take to make one Ym?
(http://www.essex1.com/people/speer/large.html)

Not:

12” = 1 foot
3 feet = 1 yard
Etc. :2huh:

Just my .02. :D

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I agree it is easier to use metric for equations and that. But everybody still talks in the old system, even though weve had the metric system here for a long time. Its 50 ft, or 2 inches, 20 MPG or 150 lbs etc.

Also all the country roads were laid out in miles, so distances there stay in miles.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts