TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how many of you used the door hinge repair kit from MN12performance.com Were the ones that used it happy with it? Also, since it is the lower hinge kit do you have to replace the top one also??Thanks much

·
Registered
425 Posts
i havent used the hinge kit yet but im guessing since most fo the weight of the door is on the lower hinge then thats the only one really needing the replacement

·
Registered
13 Posts
I replaced my drivers lower hinge last year with a new Ford unit from Fordparts.com. This fixed the sag, made the car more quiet, and the old hinge can now be R&R with a pin kit to be used on the passenger side some day when it sags. $75 gets it done along with 2-3 hours of wrestling that 200 lb door. Be care full with the door so not to scatch the paint. I used an upright hand truck, some bongie cords, and a plywood platform on jack stands to support the beast since the door has to come off / out about 4 inched to get the hinge out. Good luck!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just did mine the other day. After a year or so of sagging it finally got to the point of lifting the door to close it! Point is, don't worry about the upper hinge, the lower hinge will fix it. I rebuilt mine with a 1/2" o.d. bushing, some drill bits and a reamer. I used a nice hardened bolt in place of a pin and one afternoon later I had a brand new hinge (all stuff I had laying around). Anyway, the MN12 stuff looks like it would work fine for you and Ford doesn't get your $100!!

Some advice....... DO tape off the fender to prevent scratches.
DO use one ratcheting jack stand to hold up door.
You have to lift the door VERY high to extract the hinge (you don't have to cut the old pin, waste of time).
DO use another person to align the door with you (big time saver).

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Just did mine this last weekend with the MN12Performance kit. Fixed it right up. Follow the directions on his website. It has pics of where you need to protect the paint with tape. I also removed the hinge without cutting the pin first (his instructions give 2 choices).
I did it alone, but help would have been nice. To support the door I used a floor jack with a 2x4 running lengthwise with the door to spread the load out as much as possible.
When removing the forward hinge bolts (between the fender and door) make sure you have swivel sockets. The setup shown in the instructions looks best.
My hardest part was re-alignment, but now it shuts like new and takes very little force.

That's my experience with it,
Rob

·
Registered
112 Posts
girdnerg said:
... now it shuts like new and takes very little force.Rob
:( Gosh, I envy you guys. Before I found this website I had the drivers door on my '93 LX fixed at a Dealer because it sagged so bad. Price was about $180 including labor for the lower hinge replacement. Then I drove off and heard a HORRIBLE wind noise from the door. Back I went for a readjustment. They claimed I REALLY needed to do the upper to make it fit right. Figuring 6 hrs labor to take the dash apart was NOT in my budget, so I had them adjust the door extra 'tight', so now I have to SLAM it to get it closed. :mad: The weird part is the door on my '89 closes like a vault, and can be shut with a feather. :confused: I guess that's typical FORD . . . :(

·
Registered
811 Posts
I used the MN12 kit and it helped a little, but my striker pin was cracking. So I think I was too late. I ended up taking it to a local shop and get it all fixed. They replaced the upper and lower pins, welded up the new striker pin and matched the color pretty damn good for $200.00.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Just did mine two days ago, pretty easy, I did it alone also. That door is heavy as all hell though. The door sagged so much that it would not close, I had to lift the door to catch the striker and then hit it with my hip to get it closed, and thats from the outside. lol. I figured out a way to remove the hinges from the door without having to move it a mile away. I removed them one a time too this way the door doesnt completley rest on the jack. Good luck with it, it will be so much easier to close afterwards.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I noticed something today and thought I would ask about it. Why does the drivers side door have different pins than the passengers side one? The passenger side door has shorter pins and theyre painted the color of the car, the drivers arent. :confused:

·
Registered
627 Posts
RAYBROADWAY said:
I used the MN12 kit and it helped a little, but my striker pin was cracking. So I think I was too late. I ended up taking it to a local shop and get it all fixed. They replaced the upper and lower pins, welded up the new striker pin and matched the color pretty damn good for $200.00.
Gonna have to stop by and see it the next time I'm in the CPNC area. What do you think they'll charge me to do the lower hinges? It's bike season... gotta save money for tires :)

·
Registered
425 Posts
oUCH!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts