TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry i didnt know if this belong here or in the Miscellaneous section.

my friend has a 04 saleen mustang long block sitting in his garage, hes trying to sell me. he had bought the car brand new in 04 and put 4000 miles on the car befour blowing a cylender sense it was still warrentyd and he knew someone at the dealer they replaced the engine rather than repairing it. he bought the motor back off of them. from what he and the dealer invoice said supposidly one pistons is fryed but i havent been able to pull the heads off and check.

i have searched the net trying to find info about what the differences between a normal 4.6 and the saleen engine are but have had no luck finding anything other than HP and TQ specifications. anyone happen to konw what the differences are, i have to assume sense the thing came from the factory with a blower on top of it and had a warrenty, it must be far better than a standerd 4.6. also would it be worth it to have it repaired if it were only a bad piston

·
Registered
789 Posts
Its a stock shortblock. My brother had an '02 Saleen and blew it 4 times.

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
isn't it essentially a Cobra motor?? With a few mods to it. I'm pretty sure they used a DOHC 4.6 and a blower... So think Terminator Cobra motor swap... and that's what it would be like.

As for the cylinder. I'd pull the heads to see what's wrong with it. It may have been a head gasket or he may of very well fried the piston. So you'll wanna inspect pretty good to make sure there was no other damage. But I'm no where close to the expert. So I'll let someone else chime in. How much does he want for the Long block?

Edit: I just looked it up. He's right. It's a Stock SOHC engine with an Eaton on it and a big water to air intercooler pushing 6 pounds of boost. 365 HP. Piston's are most likely fried.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
yeah that shortblock is really no better than what you hav now.....2V with hypereutectic piston. I'm pretty sure that it was only the Saleen Extremes that had forged pistons.

You wouldn't believe how many people mod there Saleens and then blow them up. Those engines just weren't made to throw a bunch of boost at.

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
Yes R8D. The S281 Extreme got a fully in house built 4.6L and dropped in. And judging by the 365HP number I'd assume it's just a stock engine with the supercharger slapped on. My car with a Vortech on it made 373HP to the ground with a Bullitt Intake Manifold. So yeah... I'd say buy an Explorer PI engine for 1000 or so and save some weight too.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Both Saleen and Roush don't do anything speical until about level's 3 and 4, all you get is sticker and body panels. But for $150 for a long block I'd buy it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yeah $150 for a longblock is a good deal. If nothing else buy it just to part out. You can easily make your money back and then some.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts