TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On my 95...I did a compression test and it was all satisfactory. Then I did the seals, yeah its a PITA but all the oil smoking is gone. It also idles better as the oil does not enter the combustion chambers.

I also checked the valves and they have no play. The old seals were hard and brittle, like old rubber. I know some people here say not to do it, but I talked to some fleet mechanics that told me there are early towncars riding around in nyc as unmarked cabs with 200K+ miles after new seals.

I was told to carefully check compression first though.

Cost (all felpro):
$20 for the seals
$50 for the new gasket and grommets (ehh..if you are really on a budget, they could probably be reused).
$10 for a metal cleaner and some other incidentals.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Awesome, in the early 90's 4.6 I had I would have done the same, if I didn't get rid of the car. I DIDN'T do the valve seals in my 3.8 in the 89 Cougar when I had the heads off for the head gasket and I am kicking myself, it doesn't use any oil or smoke, but I might drive it long enough that it will!

Not only will help with oil consumption and the smokey takeoff, but will help with EGR passages as well!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome, in the early 90's 4.6 I had I would have done the same, if I didn't get rid of the car. I DIDN'T do the valve seals in my 3.8 in the 89 Cougar when I had the heads off for the head gasket and I am kicking myself, it doesn't use any oil or smoke, but I might drive it long enough that it will!

Not only will help with oil consumption and the smokey takeoff, but will help with EGR passages as well!
My last chore IS the EGR pipe though. It will probably run even better with the P1407 blockage removed. I may balk and have a shop loosen that bolt, it is in a horrible spot. The intake crossover was completely clogged with old oil.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Did you do it in the car? If so, you have taken my crown. I think I was the only one to have done that thus far. Congrats. PITA ain't it!

Bob

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you do it in the car? If so, you have taken my crown. I think I was the only one to have done that thus far. Congrats. PITA ain't it!

Bob
Yes, I did it fully in the car. I had practice on a FWD conti 32 V engine though beforehand, I had to change out a broken spring. It was a PITA, but a great learning experience. I used the rope method btw, no compressor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts