TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '95 failed the AZ emissions - all 3 components. I replaced the O2 sensors and retested today. HC and CO passed but NOx failed - 2.18 gm/mile with 2.00 max allowable. Everything that I've read so far says 'new cats'. Doh! Are there any other (cheaper) suggestions or do I have to bite the bullet and pay.

Any ideas appreciated,
Alex

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
Alex,

have you had your cats tested by your own shop?

If you have to replace the cats, you can buy universal, high flow cats off of ebay and have your shop install them. You can get them in any size.

I got 2 off of ebay for a total, including shipping, of $75. All I'm waiting for is some cash to swap out the OEM cats for the universals. I should get a nice HP boost, but not lose catalytic efficiency.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
I wouldn't trust any aftermarket cats for an emissions testing state. They're good for visual inspection, backpressure, and getting an exhaust shop to make you some custom exhaust legally. That's about it.
-Thomas

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
While I may disagree the point with Thomas, it doest bring up another possibility.

Alex, why not see if someone has their OEM cats after going to high flow or to gutted cats or test tubes that would be willing to make you a real deal on the OEM ones.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Irongang said:
My '95 failed the AZ emissions - all 3 components. I replaced the O2 sensors and retested today. HC and CO passed but NOx failed - 2.18 gm/mile with 2.00 max allowable. Everything that I've read so far says 'new cats'. Doh! Are there any other (cheaper) suggestions or do I have to bite the bullet and pay.

Any ideas appreciated,
Alex
Check your EGR system...

DR

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
NOx= combustion temps too high. Do you have a distributor or a DIS car?
ERG is one thing that could be a problem. You could also retard the timing a few degrees and that will drop the NOx down a bit, Either turn the distributor back alittle or if you have a DIS car pull the octane plug.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
emission testing is GHEY....I run no cats 23 of the 24 months between testing. I bolt the stock stuff up for the test and then return it to what it should be...UNRESTRICTED. I mean, I run all my cats for all you smog Nazis.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts