TCCoA Forums banner

Sc 3.8 motor to NA

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  jco1385 
#1 ·
Hi guys new to the forum I have a 94 sn95 with a tired 3.8 my friend started the super coupe swap for his sn95 years ago and unfortunately never finished. He recently parted out the supercharged and was left with a fully built block with ported heads all new pistons but it has sat for a few years filled with fresh oil. He offered me a deal on the engine and I plan to pop the heads off to make sure it’s okay internally but I am wondering if this will more or less be plug and play if I attach my mustang upper and lower intake can I use my stock wiring harness. I also have a sct xcal2 to help with tuning as it has ported heads. Hope to hear back and get this project underway

#2 ·
The answer would be yes, but it will be a dog without the blower assuming it’s still 8.2:1 compression. If it’s built up already I’d be inclined to just piece together the SC components to make it complete again, plenty of people here and at SCCoA have garages full of the stock parts you’d need for it they pulled off for upgrades. It won’t be the best stuff but it’s a start. If not I’d just seek out a 96-98 NA engine instead or better yet a 99-04 split port if you want a bump in power.

#3 ·
It is 8:2:1 compression but I’m not to worried about overall power as the Singleport v6 isn’t anything special. Split port requires a new tach and a bunch of other stuff from what I’ve read that could make it more work.

Was wondering really if the sn95 wiring harness will connect easily enough to it and if the sct xcal2 will help keep it close to stock Na power.

How much are the eaton superchargers going for these days anyways I guess I could go that route in the end I know he tuned his through the xcal2

#4 ·
Like I said yes, the harness should fit fine provided you use the rest of the NA sensors, actuators, and only use the SC longblock. But you’re not going to get the performance lost from the compression drop back from a XCAL, adding timing will only go so far. I’m not sure what the going rate is but people tend to let 89-93 M90s go really cheap since they’re not as desirable for porting as 94-95 superchargers, you could probably aquire one of those older blowers and all the necessary brackets, accessory drive, intercooler piping and manifold parts for no more than $500, and if you know the right people you can find freebies, at least I know I’ve given away some of those parts 😉

The splitport doesn’t require a new tach, it’s basically a drop-in swap

#5 · (Edited)
Ohh wow everyone made the split port swap sound more complicated, I can just grab a split port from a 99-04 and drop it into my 94 with nothing to change. I’m also not opposed to running lower compression as it has ported cylinder heads with new roller rockers, as I use the car for drifting and wanted to use a wet shot of nitrous on the top end and apparently the lower compression handles it better.

#7 ·
Id use the heads that are on it, with a ported NA intake. Then slap a gt35 on it. Turbos are more efficient than blowers anyway, no parasitic draw. Then account for the ported heads and intake and youll probably be around 350 wheel, with the right tune at 14 psi.

Just dont be like an average mustang and wreck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.