TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well im looking for another bird as a DD and i see two nice SC's on craigslist heres the link to them:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/car/485139448.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/car/478066530.html

i miss my old bird already, but it had the 4.6 in it. i always wanted a SC but more as a weekend driver, ive heard good and bad news about the SC.i know about the headgasket problems with the 3.8 but im still new to it. anybody have any input? would i be fixing things all the time? un like with my 4.6 where i only had to lift the hood about once a month

·
Registered
93 Posts
Although I haven't looked at the cars you linked, I can say witha relative amount of certainty that a SC can be a decent daily driver. Remember though that no matter what, the MN12 platform is getting old. So regardless of what type of car you get, there will be some issues. I say if you want a SC, get one. The head gasket issue is directly related to excesive heat and detonation. Yes, the stock programing can be that far out...and who knows if they really put only 92 octane or better in it at every fill up. You'll want to find one with relatively low miles or one that has already had the head gaskets replaced. Then there's a few simple things you can do that will greatly increase the durability of the SC. First, get a 180* thermostat and have the car tuned (dyno preferably). If nothing more, get a SCT chip to turn on the high speed fan at 180* also. (Stock is set to turn on at ~220*). Exhaust is a must if not already done and replacing the stock air dam with one from a ~'93 Grand Am ($15 or so for the part). The more expensive route is to get the Magnum Powers air dam/chin spoiler for $89. These things will increase the longevity of the SC and reduce the likely hood of having to replace your head gaskets sooner rather than later. There are parts that will fail on any car...a SC is no different. I've driven one for 5 years as a daily driver and I'm finally able to park it now and only drive it when I want to. So if you want a SC, get one. Take your time though and find a nice one...there are a lot out there that have been abused badly. Then, when you get the money, get yourself a different daily driver, then the SC can be your "weekend" car.

·
Super Moderator
7,617 Posts
The SC's are fine as a daily driver. I used my 89XR7 as a DD for almost 2 years. Only reason I'm not driving it now is because the motor started knocking, so I am going to rebuild it, then it will be back to getting driven.

With that said, you can find better deals than those 2 cars you posted up. Both of those cars are high mileage, and the body is not in the best shape. Keep an eye out and you should be able to pick one up in decent shape with under 140K for under $1500

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
95 SC 5spd

I have several SC's. I usually have one as a DD during the good weather months. I do not recommend these for winter driving.
I have a 95 5spd as my daily driver at this time. This car has 322,000 miles on it and still runs and looks good. Original owner is 71 and obviously took care of this car.
I think the SC is a great DD as it is a comfortable and fun car to drive. I also average around 24-26 mpg, which I think is good.
Just do not drive it like your at the races all the time, keep it maintained well and it should treat you good. It does help to start with an SC that has not been beat already. The abused SC's will definately cost you money in repairs/upkeep.

Best of luck,
Randall

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Driver

I drive my 92' five speed daily..................no problems at all. I didn't buy it just to look at it.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have several SC's. I usually have one as a DD during the good weather months. I do not recommend these for winter driving.
I have a 95 5spd as my daily driver at this time. This car has 322,000 miles on it and still runs and looks good. Original owner is 71 and obviously took care of this car.
I think the SC is a great DD as it is a comfortable and fun car to drive. I also average around 24-26 mpg, which I think is good.
Just do not drive it like your at the races all the time, keep it maintained well and it should treat you good. It does help to start with an SC that has not been beat already. The abused SC's will definately cost you money in repairs/upkeep.

Best of luck,
Randall

yea i dont drive like idoit. even though im 16. body work cost too much, cars can be replaced...my life and others cant, and i cant have the car on jack stands because its my DD. and i like my clean driving record :)

but im talking to SCV8Bird about buying a SC so hopefully everything goes well

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok i talked to the guy whos selling thing SC he seems really cool and honest. the only thing thats bad on the car is the paint job. and he says the 2nd gear syncro is going bad.

how hard is it to replace the 2nd gear syncro?

·
Super Moderator
7,617 Posts
replacing the synchros is a trans rebuild. Like I said before, you can get a better shape SC for less money if you look around.

·
Registered
798 Posts
replacing the synchros is a trans rebuild. Like I said before, you can get a better shape SC for less money if you look around.
Btw, aren't the syncro's getting hard to find? Or am I possibly thinking of something else?

·
Super Moderator
7,617 Posts
There are 2 styles of synchros. The ones originally put in the tbird trans had some kind of friction material on them to help them work better. The ones in the truck trans were just brass. The ones with the friction material are obsolete, and basically impossible to find. The truck synchros can be used, and they have the advantage that they last a lot longer, but they don't give as smooth a shift, and when using the brass synchros, even when they aren't worn out at all you will still grind gears when you wind out the motor and shift fast.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
aww man :( so im guessing since the synchros are going bad....its not worth it to buy it? i was talkin to my autoshop teacher today about it, he says it would probably be around $500 to fix synchros. i wanted this car so bad.but if its not worth it i can wait

·
Registered
798 Posts
aww man :( so im guessing since the synchros are going bad....its not worth it to buy it? i was talkin to my autoshop teacher today about it, he says it would probably be around $500 to fix synchros. i wanted this car so bad.but if its not worth it i can wait
Yeah. I personally wouldn't get it, as you can find cheaper, but it's all up to you. If you can do the work yourself (subtract labor from the bill) it starts to become a sweeter deal.

Anyways, the simple answer is no, you cannot daily drive an SC. You'll have too much fun and you might get in trouble. :tongue:;)

To be honest, I drive mine daily, and I love it. With the bullitt rims it's a head turner, and people just stare when they hear the whine.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I was gonna post the same topic, but I guess someone beat me to it. I found a good deal on an 89. I drove my 97 all last winter, It wasnt too bad, just be sure you have good tires. Ill probably be DD a SC 5-speed here soon.

·
Registered
22 Posts
There are 2 styles of synchros. The ones originally put in the tbird trans had some kind of friction material on them to help them work better. The ones in the truck trans were just brass. The ones with the friction material are obsolete, and basically impossible to find. The truck synchros can be used, and they have the advantage that they last a lot longer, but they don't give as smooth a shift, and when using the brass synchros, even when they aren't worn out at all you will still grind gears when you wind out the motor and shift fast.
Contact Southern Gear and see if they have any more of the carbon fiber synchros in.
They had 3 sets a few months ago-a guy on SCCOA bought two, and I got the third.
They may have gotten some more since then.

Nick

·
Registered
630 Posts
89 sc for a DD and it has um 325,000 on the origanle motor...... so they hold up good but they are not cheap to fix.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts