TCCoA Forums banner

sc axle ?

3K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Cherry93SC 
#1 ·
ok have two auto s 89 ,90 both have two 1 inch rear shafts

parted a 92 5 spd this one has one large 1 1/2 one 1 inch is this typical of a five spd car or an anomoly ? Possibly I can dig thru the forums . If u could answer it would help.. :2huh:

#4 ·
I'm not sure if they are stronger or not. Some people say they are, and some even go so far as to run 2 fat axles, but 99% of the time when an axle fails on one of these cars, it breaks right off at the spindle, and since the outer par of the axle is the same on all of them, I don't think it would be an issue. I have also heard people say it was done to try to reduce wheel hop, which the 5-speed cars have serious problems with. Unless we get a hold of the engineer who decided to make the one shaft thicker, we may never know.

As for whether you should swap them in or not, I would say it probably isn't necessary. Pretty much only the 5-speeds break axles because driveline shock is what breaks them, not power. Since the auto loads the axles up and then keeps them loaded, the autos don't have any real problems breaking axles. Some guys are even running 11s passes on stock SC axles, and as long as they have an auto instead of a 5-speed, the axles hold up. If you happen to grab a set while parting out a car, its good to have a spare set of axles laying around in case something happens, but if there is no problem with your axles now, I would leave well enough alone.

#10 ·
Agreed....fat axles with greater mass were intended to reduce wheel hop and are not any stronger than the standard diameter axles. I'm still using stock halfshafts in both of my SCs.

David

#7 ·
I didn't think there was any difference between the Mark VIII axle and the V8 MN12 axle.. ???

#12 ·
Mark VIII LSC shafts from the last 3 years are the strongest of all the MN12 shafts. They used a different hardening process but they are only a hundred Newton Meters stronger in yield (3900 vs. 3800 for the SC shafts) so not worth the upgrade IMHO but if you have to replace one might as well go with the strongest ones available!!!!

#13 ·
fat ax

Original question : I have a fat shaft and wanted to see if worth the effort to put in car ? also wanted to see if you can run too .? not knowing without setting them side by side if there is any difference side to side. Seeing that david n. is running consistant mid 10 s on standard sc axles dont see what difference it makes ..really .

#16 ·
yea i agree. i was thinking about that. i wanted to change my axles but this thread just answered my question lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.