TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got them mounted. (The side GFX) For the squeamish I'm warning that to put them on a 96-97 model some minor trimming had to be done. They look great and before you post "This thread is worthless w/O pics" I'll tell you that the car is being detailed before pics will be posted. They'll be up this evening or tomorrow. This is just a tease. :tongue:

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, I actually don't have any pieces that mount to the doors. (working on that). The areas that need trimming are the very front, top part that goes directly under the 96-7 cladding (on the fender). And some very minor trimming where the rear peice goes around into the fender. I used 3M double sided tape on the sides and the bottom, and 1/4" "christmas trees" (thats what the body man called them) on the bottom.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Yes, i had this mocked up on my bird about 3 years ago. When I was into show and sound more than GO. i like the go better, but have somehow managed to pull off the show and go look. I had a rough piece to work with, but i got it to fit with some triming and, intended on securing it with doubleside. Along with rivits as well. I never found a good set onf side skirts to go all out on, so it never got finished.

Awaiting to see your car, the same color with them. maybe i will finish what i started years ago.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pics

The drivers side came out better than the passenger side. On the drivers side there is a very smooth seam between the original side cladding and the GFX on the fender. The Passenger side didn't fare so well. Still working on that. And in a few spots the tape didn't hold as well as I'd have liked, but overall I'm happy with it. I'll work out the bugs and they'll look great. Anyone know where I can get some of those panels that go on the doors? or are there such things?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Well done. I am in the middle of this body mod myself. The 3M tape is apparently all about the prep. Havent noticed any real fitment probs as of yet, but I am sure there will be. The door peices are a problem unto themselves. Still havent quite figured out how to mount them without drilling, but I will. Are you going to be installing a S/C rear bumper as well?

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Justin, Thank you.

tbirdmedic, I'd like to get an SC bumper, but the problems are two-fold.

1) Its an LE, and I like the LE stripe. The SC bumper doesn't have the groove in it that the 96-97's have for the stripe.

2) The bumper would say "Thunderbird SC". While I have nothing against SC's (I'd love to have one), I'd like to call it what it is and it ain't an SC. I might consider one of the aftermarket rear bumper add-ons. (kinda like the Wings West)

I followed all the usual precautions using the tape. cleaned the surfaces, removed wax and grease etc. Even used 3M adhesive to apply the tape to the GFX (Body shop advised me on this). I think the only thing I did wrong was not wait long enough to wash the car. Stupidity on my part, but easily fixed.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
ok some close up shots of the trimmed area. i mocked up a set of these like 5-6 years ago and didnt want to go through the hassle of triming them.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The trimming isn't difficult, just kinda stressful knowing that you can't "fix" it if you screw up! Measure 8 times, cut once. :D

I got the best sides so you can see how it should look. I'd also mock it up, measure it, and cut it before painting. I didn't, and you can see the marks where I had to use touch up paint in the photos. Of course it'd take an eagle eye to see it from a distance in normal light, these are close up under a strobe.

I made them a little bigger than the other shots for more clarity.

This is the rear trim, its just a very slight trim above the black plug to line it up with the original side cladding

This is the front fender. Its more complicated as the top of the SC parts want to go up higher than the bottom of the 96-7 parts. You have to trim off about 3/8 inch from the SC parts. I loosened the cladding a little so I could fit the GFX under it. Then marked a line where they would meet with a sharpie. Then after cutting and making sure it would line up right at the bottom of the cladding, I just tightened it down again. I used 3M emblem and plastic adhesive to attach the GFX to the cladding on the fender. If you get a snug enough fit, the cladding will help hold the GFX against the fender.

This is just another angle of the front fender. The screw you see in the GFX was already there, holding the inner fender liner in.

Knowing how detail oriented many folks here are, I'm sure that there are others here who could do a much better job than I did. When you look close it is kinda sloppy, and its loose in some spots. But it can be done, and it can look good.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I didnt realize there was a difference. My Bad. As to the S/C bumper, I am having the letters filled with epoxy. Gotta call it what it is...an LX. One of my friends recommended asking the bumper guy if he could possibly delete the SC, and insert an LX. Might be worth looking into.
I concur with the measure as many times as you can then cut once. I am spending as much time as I can on getting this right. The door GFX are going to be the biggest headache. I have the seat swap pretty well beat, so I can spend some more time on the GFX. Keep up the good work.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Plan to! :D I've got a set of SC seats, but they're waiting on upholstery. Can't find anyplace that'll do them for less than 6-700 bucks. But I get a longevity check soon, so maybe it'll happen after all.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOL Man, thats the color I want! When you put black upholstery on, what are you going to do with the old Grey upholstery?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Its a hard colour to find in good condition. I am having the seats dyed, rather than re-upholstered. Sorry about that. They would look so nice with your colour. I will keep my eyes open for another set.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts