TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a pair of SC heads, they are from a 91 coupe and would I need a intake and headers or could my 96 stuff work...Im wondering if I would gain anything from this....what do you guys think...

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Dont think you would gain a thing by what I've read.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
you'd gain a better head, but nothing more. They're not better flow-wise, just strength-wise.

Oh my bad, you'd gain the SC stamping on the casting too. :)
-Thomas

·
8,978 Posts
tbird96 said:
anyone know if they would be a direct bolt on from 90 to 96
As long as they're 89-93 SC heads, and use the SC headgaskets too.
-Thomas

·
Registered
85 Posts
According to Supersix Motorsports, your 96-97 heads have the improved cooling ports just like the SC heads. If you get the SC heads, you will need 8mm bolts for the intake:

From Tom Y:

I've always liked the 96-98 3.8 cylinder heads. They are heat treated, have a deck just like the SC heads, same intake and exhaust ports, same combustion chambers, but they have 2 main differences:

1. They use a very light weight 7mm valve train for which we have bigger valves, great beehive springs, retainers, etc for .580 lift with .060" clearance.

2. They use 2 less lower intake-to-cylinder head bolts, but this has not been a problem on 3.8's up into the 19 PSI range. The other SC lower intake-to-head bolt holes line up perfectly, just have to use a different thread pitch lower intake to head bolt available everywhere.

·
8,978 Posts
my SC heads were a direct bolt-on, no different bolts, and no less bolt holes, totally the same. And the96-98 coolant passages are the same as the SC, but the SC gaskets have a stronger design to them (from what I've read).
-Thomas

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
cougarsc said:
According to Supersix Motorsports, your 96-97 heads have the improved cooling ports just like the SC heads. If you get the SC heads, you will need 8mm bolts for the intake:

From Tom Y:

I've always liked the 96-98 3.8 cylinder heads. They are heat treated, have a deck just like the SC heads, same intake and exhaust ports, same combustion chambers, but they have 2 main differences:

1. They use a very light weight 7mm valve train for which we have bigger valves, great beehive springs, retainers, etc for .580 lift with .060" clearance.

2. They use 2 less lower intake-to-cylinder head bolts, but this has not been a problem on 3.8's up into the 19 PSI range. The other SC lower intake-to-head bolt holes line up perfectly, just have to use a different thread pitch lower intake to head bolt available everywhere.
So if I understand this 96-98 heads are actually better than SC.

·
8,978 Posts
they're not better. Tom is saying the 96-98's have a smaller valvesteam diameter. You can look at it as lighter weight, or weaker valves. The bigger valves, beehive springs, and retainers thing was talking about the aftermarket they have available for them.
-Thomas

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Well I'd have to call aviable parts a good thing. How often do you hear of breaking valve stems?

·
8,978 Posts
not breaking, but bending. But it's really not a big deal anyway, unless you're going for a lot of HP (see me) my larger valves have an 8mm stem. I think Tom was just saying the available parts for heads in general, because with cheap machining you can fit conical springs onto the SC heads anyway. There's really no more availability for the 96-98's than there is the SC heads.
-Thomas

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I say save your money, unless you want/need a second set of heads.

·
8,978 Posts
unless your heads are warped from a blown headgasket and these SC heads are cheaper than decking, I'd say dont worry about it. For 450 bucks you can buy mildly ported heads and get a gain from it.
-Thomas

1 - 18 of 18 Posts