TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an ignition problem with my '89 SC... I went through right when I bought it last December and put in new plug wires, coil pack and plugs. Earlier this summer the car started jerking violently like the ignition was cutting out. Whenever it would jerk, the tach also drops off and is non-operational there's really no pattern to it but it won't happen on a cold engine. Sometimes it'll continue for 3-4 minutes, sometimes I'll take the car out and it won't do it at all.
I replaced the ignition control module yesterday but the problem is still there.

Has anyone ever experienced symptoms like this?:confused:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ran to Autozone and grabbed a cam position sensor. Swapped it out and went for a drive, got it up to temp and the problem never showed up.
Thanks for the suggestion Thunder Checken!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a similar problem, It jerked badly and died once, jerked badly again and now its cut out and wont start at all. I remember seing the Crank pulley wobbling at idle back when it ran so i beleive it is the CKP sensor. I have disasembled the CMP and everything looks fine even new. have not checked the DIS.

·
Super Moderator
5,084 Posts
I have a similar problem, It jerked badly and died once, jerked badly again and now its cut out and wont start at all. I remember seing the Crank pulley wobbling at idle back when it ran so i beleive it is the CKP sensor. I have disasembled the CMP and everything looks fine even new. have not checked the DIS.
May not actually be the CKP sensor - the crank pulley wobbling means the dampener has failed. It's time to buy a BJP (?) balancer, and while it's off, go ahead and replace the CKP sensor in case the failing balancer damaged it.

But the key note is, you'll need a new balancer.

RwP

·
Super Moderator
7,619 Posts
Yup, wobbling crank pulley means the balancer failed. The replacement one to get is made by BHJ. If the car won't start at all, the failing balancer probably damaged the crank sensor, so replace that at the same time. Also the factory balancer and crank pulley are matched and neutral balanced together. The BHJ will be neutral balance on its own, and if the crank pulley itself is out of balance, it could cause damage to your engine, so you will need to at the very least have the crank pulley checked for neutral balance, or now would be a good time to order a set of underdrive pulleys and install them at the same time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
im through it now, I went stock replacement crank pully and balencer because I didnt have a place to stay and couldnt get anything ordered online. oh well.... the pully vibrates ever so slightly and makes me nervous but at least if it breaks this time I will have the opurtunity to upgrade. as i could see that was the cars second balencer done with an unmatched pully.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts