TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
Police package heads for a 3.8L?

SC heads won't give you any increased performance, but they do have a better coolant passage design than the 89-95 NA heads.

-Rod

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
IIRC the "police package" taraus was rated at 160hp instead of 140hp.

·
Automatic Weapon
1,219 Posts
Wow, I have never heard of Police vehicles having different heads in recent history. Interesting.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mickey said:
The Police heads are an open camber design, with a little better flow due to the un-shrouded valves. They are lower compression though. We installed a port matched set on a 95 Taurus and with the EEC-Tuner it runs a 17.4 at Bandimere. We did feel a power boost and a smoothness change, but do to the torque curve change; the electronic tranny gets a little confused. We installed the regular heads (heart shaped chambers, smaller combustion chamber) in my Conti with the police motor, which archives higher compression due to the mix with the Police Pistons. You can clean up your stock heads to archive the same result as the police heads. You just have to invest a little time.
BTW, I have a set of police heads, 91 SC heads and an bare set of 95 SC heads. If your interested in playing with some.
Does someone have a copy of the head pictures we posted a while back? We can't retrieve them due to --cough—an unnamed, highly experienced, contributive person –cough-- being banned.

I saw your other post on your Conti and thats where I got the idea. Which poses another question. I have an 88 Conti sitting in my garage, the engine siezed. I want to keep it as a project car but its future is unknown. Do the upper and lower intakes match up, I am thinking of taking them off and porting them and then putting them on the bird. The Conti is nice though, looks like a mafia car, jet black with a beige ragtop, it always turned heads when it was still on the road.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts